Fort Collins to officially open two new parks in October

Registry Park and Waters Way Park are scheduled to be open to the public on Oct. 11. The city will have community gatherings in order to bring the community to the parks unveiling. Each grand opening will include speeches, ribbon cutting, prizes, and snacks — all available to the public.

Registry Park’s event will begin at 3:30 p.m. at 6820 Rangers Dr. and will conclude at 5 p.m. The park is located in southwest Fort Collins‘ Registry Ridge neighborhood and sits on six acres of land. Waters Way Park’s event will begin at 4:30 p.m. at 715 Fairbourne Way and will conclude at 6 p.m. The park is located in south central Fort Collins adjacent to Pelican Marsh Natural Area and is sitting on 7.9 acres. The public is encouraged to attend both.

These two parks were delayed a few years ago because there wasn’t enough money to fund their construction. In November 2010, an .85 percent sales tax was passed to fund critical services in the community, including the construction of community parks. According to the Director of Park Planning and Development, Craig Foreman, these parks are especially important for the benefit of families in surrounding neighborhoods.

“Basically there is a neighborhood park in every square mile of a neighborhood. This way people don’t have to cross busy roads, like College, in order to get to those parks. Families have the opportunities to walk or ride bikes to the park,” Foreman said.

The city is happy to be a part of the completion of the parks and encourage the community to join in the celebration in October, according to Foreman.