CSU women’s golf places 3rd in MW championship

Collegian | Madelyn Hendricks

Damon Cook, Staff Reporter

The Colorado State University Rams women’s golf team placed third in the 2023 Mountain West Women’s Golf Championship behind the University of New Mexico Lobos and the San Jose State University Spartans. The three-day tournament took place at the Dinah Shore Tournament Course at the Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage, California.

The efforts from Sofia Torres, Lacey Uchida and Andrea Bergsdottir propelled the Rams into third. All three golfers finished in the top ten of the tournament.

Torres placed third overall in the tournament and was the highest Ram finisher. She capped her tournament off by placing first on day three. She shot a 67, good enough for 4 under par. Torres shot up the leaderboards on the third day, improving ten spots behind her 6 birdies, including on the par 3 holes 17.

Uchida also ended up tied in third place with Torres. Uchida had her best day on the second day of the tournament, where she also shot 67, once again good for first place on that day. Uchida started off strong, recording 7 birdies in the first 16 holes, but wasn’t able to finish what she started, recording 2 bogeys on the final two holes.

Bergsdottir ended the tournament in sixth place. She was consistent throughout the tournament, shooting 74, 70 and 69. She overall had a really good round, shooting 12 birdies in total, but 2 double bogeys in the tournament raised her score.

Now all CSU can do is wait. The NCAA will announce the regional golf selections April 26. If any golfer from CSU is chosen to compete, they will compete May 8-10. They will compete at one of the following sites, according to the NCAA website: University of Georgia Golf Course, PGA National Resort Palm Beach, Palouse Ridge Golf Club, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, Tournament Players Club San Antonio or The Club at Chatham Hills.

“A strength-of-field metric is built into selections to ensure maximum balance and fairness at the six regional sites,” according to the NCAA website. “Thirty teams will advance to the championship in Scottsdale — five from each of the six regional sites. One hundred and fifty-six players will advance to the championship, with the top five teams and top individual (not on an advancing team) advancing from each regional.”

With that being said, even if the Rams don’t make it to the regionals, they should have some representation at the tournament. Torres is the top individual in terms of strokes for the Rams, so if the team does not receive a bid, Torres will likely be the one representing the Rams.

Reach Damon Cook at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @dwcook2001.