CSU women’s tennis brings home wins from Wyoming tournament

Photo Illustration by Avery Coates

Madeline Davis

Michael Giles, Sports Reporter

Colorado State University women’s tennis had an incredible weekend tournament at the University of Wyoming Tennis Complex in Laramie, Wyoming, April 15 and 16, bringing home more than one win. They fought harder than ever all weekend, defeating their competition with confidence and determination.

On April 15, the team set out to Wyoming to play against Boise State University, crushing their competition and bringing home a 4-1 win. The results from this tournament came from single-match victories.

On day one, a key player was Lucia Natal, ending her single matches with two 6-1 sets, defeating her BSU competitor Ana Conde Vendrell. Overall, the team seemed to have focused on maintaining their composure while stepping on the court.

“With this team’s intensity, they’re in an excellent position to continue bringing home wins.”

Day two came with high stakes as the Rams hoped to keep their winning streak. They made their competition look too easy, sweeping Utah State University with a 4-0 win. The remarkable win allowed the CSU squad to advance to 6-2 in the Mountain West Conference, sitting at third in the conference.

The Rams also improved on their doubles gameplay against Utah, winning two of the three matches. In the singles games, CSU Rams Somer Dalla-Bona, Sarka Richterova and Natal came out on top, in addition to Radka Buzkova’s swept match. Buzkova started off the singles matches with a 2-0 match blowout over USU Zara Ryan, scoring 6-0 in both sets, kickstarting Colorado State on their final day in Wyoming.

The Colorado State Rams will return home to play this week against the University of Wyoming April 21 and the University of Nevada, Reno April 23.

With how the team is looking, they could secure the third seed in the Mountain West Tournament, which would position them exceptionally well for a bye game during the first round. With this team’s intensity, they’re in an excellent position to continue bringing home wins.

Reach Michael Giles at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Michaelrenee10.