NFL fantasy football — waiver wire week 5 pickups

Illustration with the text Fantasy Football League Opinions and Predictions in the bottom left corner. The illustration being is 2 hands catching a football
(Graphic Illustration by Nick Peril | The Collegian)

As football fans, we never want to see injuries to any player. Heading into week five, we have seen more than enough athletes get hurt. But with injuries come opportunity, especially for fantasy football managers.

Chicago Bears running back Damien Williams is getting his chance to be in the starting offense due to David Montgomery spraining his knee last week against the Detroit Lions. He is expected to miss four to five weeks. Don’t miss your opportunity to pick up Williams on waivers this week. 

Reliable tight ends are hard to come by in fantasy football — that is why when you can find one on waivers, you pick them up right away.”

Williams looked good after taking over for Montgomery on Sunday, rushing eight times for 55 yards and a score and catching two passes for another 15 yards. I know it was against the Detroit Lions, which allow the ninth-most rushing yards per game, but Williams showed promise and potential during his time with the Kansas City Chiefs. 

Tarik Cohen is also fighting knee problems of his own and won’t be able to return until week seven, making Williams the clear three-down back. He’ll be a top-waiver pickup this week since Montgomery is going to miss some time. I’ve already made my claim for Williams — I highly suggest you do the same. 

Reliable tight ends are hard to come by in fantasy football — that is why when you can find one on waivers, you pick them up right away. Buffalo Bills Dawson Knox is that tight end you need to pick up because he is most likely a better option than what you have now. 

The Bills do have a lot of weapons on offense, so Knox seems more of a “TD-or-bust” player. This year, he’s been way more reliable, scoring in the last three games and twice in week four. Against the Houston Texans, he caught five passes on eight targets for 37 yards. 

He scored 14.9 fantasy points last week and 20.7 Sunday, which is very impressive for a tight end. I believe Knox is going to be a red-zone target for Josh Allen every week since they have such a weak running attack. The Bills play the Chiefs next week and the Tennessee Titans the following week. So Knox is going to be a great streaming option for those matchups coming up.

I’m usually not keen on picking up older veterans on fantasy teams, but Green Bay Packers wideout Randall Cobb is showing his chemistry with Aaron Rodgers

Marquez Valdes-Scantling is on injured reserve due to a hamstring injury, so Cobb will have a bigger role in the offense. Davante Adams rightfully gets the most attention for opposing defensive backs and is sometimes double-covered, as we saw Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

That opened up more targets for Cobb, who had 23.9 fantasy points on five catches for 69 yards and two touchdowns. Cobb should be easy to pick up on waivers due to being 31 years old, but I would only suggest starting him in deep points per reception leagues since Allen Lazard and Amari Rodgers are still in the offensive mix for the Packers. 

If you want more waiver wire options for your team, watch Brendon’s weekly sports show, “The Waiver Wire,” on CTV Channel 11 every Monday at 7 p.m.

​​Brendon Fairbairn can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Fairbairn_7.