Tennessee wideout announces transfer to CSU

Former Tennessee wide receiver Preston Williams has announced via twitter that he will be transferring to Colorado State for his final two seasons of college football.

https://twitter.com/ThResort/status/795369469031936006

The former Scout.com five-star recruit will have to sit out for the remainder of this as well as next season.

The Hampton, Georgia native left Tennessee after losing to Texas A&M six games into the 2016 season. In his limited time this season, he had nine receptions for 89 yards. During the 2015 season, in which he only saw the field in five games, Williams hauled in seven catches for 158 yards and two touchdowns.

Williams was the No. 1 ranked wide receiver in the country coming out of Lovejoy High School in 2015, according to Scout.com. He held offers from Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia.

Williams hauled in 43 catches for 916 yards and 13 touchdowns his senior year at Lovejoy High School while missing part of the season with a knee injury. He also earned Georgia’s Class 6A Offensive Player of the Year his junior year, as he recorded 56 catches for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Once he is eligible to play in 2018, having to likely sit out of the 2017 season due to NCAA rules, Williams will likely be much more involved in CSU’s offense than he was at Tennessee.

Bobo recruited Williams while he was still part of Georgia’s coaching staff. Williams also received interest from UCLA and USC this year.

Terry Fair, CSU’s cornerback coach, is another connection to Williams. Fair was part of Tennessee’s coaching staff when they signed Williams in 2015.

The 6-foot, 4-inch 209 pound target gives the Rams receiving corp a huge surge. Incoming recruits Kalem Reddix and former Clemson wideout Demarre Kitt give the Rams a deep group of wideouts moving forward.

Collegian sports reporter Eddie Herz can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @Eddie_Herz