Colorado State kicks off farewell Hughes Stadium campaign

The farewell to Hughes Stadium has officially begun.

Colorado State kicked off the farewell campaign by launching the “Farewell Hughes” website Thursday.

The campaign is seen as an effort by Colorado State to allow Rams fans of all generations to connect and celebrate the 49th and final season of Hughes Stadium.

There are six home match-ups on schedule for the Rams in 2016. Fans in attendance at all six games will take part in a time lapse of sorts, as the home opener Sept. 10 vs. UTSA will feature a 1960s theme. The ensuing five games will continue the trend in chronological order, as each game will celebrate a specific decade of Hughes stadium up until the 2010s.

The final game will be held on Nov. 19 vs. New Mexico. With that game falling on the Saturday preceding fall break, CSU will allow all residence halls to stay open until 10 p.m. Nov. 19 so any and all students can attend the Hughes sendoff game if desired.

The CSU athletics department encourages fans to use the hash tag “FarewellHughes” on social media. Fans can also email Hughes Stadium memories and stories to farewellhughes@colostate.edu to possibly be featured on social media and the video board in Hughes.

The Rams will vacate the off-campus stadium opened in 1968 and move to a new yet-to-be-named 41,000-capacity on-campus stadium to start the 2017 season.

The complete home schedule for CSU and the associated theme can be seen below:

Sept. 10, vs. UTSA—Celebration of the 1960s and Military Appreciation Day

Sept. 17, vs. Northern Colorado—Celebration of the 1970s and Ag Day/Orange Out

Oct. 1, vs. Wyoming—Celebration of the 1980s and Border War/Bronze Boot

Oct. 8, vs. Utah State—Celebration of the 1990s and Homecoming & Family Weekend

Nov. 5, vs. Fresno State—Celebration of the 2000s and Take a Kid to the Game promotion

Nov. 19, vs. New Mexico—Celebration of the 2010s and Final Game Commemoration

(schedule via Colorado State Athletics)

Collegian Sports Editor Chad Deutschman can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @ChadDeutschman