Spring game yields offensive highs and lows

The annual Green and Gold game ended with the offense, the gold squad, winning 64-47. Don’t let the scoreboard fool you. The scrimmage utilized a modified point scoring system, which heavily favored the offense. The offense had moments where it clicked, but also had moments that had fans putting palms to faces.
Coming into spring the big question everyone wanted to know is who the starting quarterback will be come fall now that former Georgia Bulldogs quarterback Faton Bauta has entered the program and battling with returning starter Nick Stevens for the 2016 gig. 

(Luke Walker/ The Collegian)
(Luke Walker/ The Collegian)

The offense came out of the gates sluggish. Nick Stevens took the first snaps. He managed to gain a first down on his first drive of the day, something the other quarterbacks were not able to obtain for a good portion of the first half, but struggled to take care of the ball. Stevens was intercepted by senior cornerback Tyree Simmons on the first drive, and later in the game by redshirt sophomore safety Demontrie Taylor.

“For the most part, there were a couple things I thought we lacked in, like taking care of the ball,” Stevens said. “That was a personal thing I was looking to do and didn’t accomplish it as well as I planned to.”

Stevens finished the day going 8-20 for 90-yards and one touchdown, in addition to the two interceptions.
Bauta struggled in the first quarter, but ultimately had the better day of the two. The graduate transfer threw two touchdowns in the second quarter. The first came on a 20-yard pass to tight end Danny Nwosu, the second came in emphatic fashion, connecting with wide receiver John Freismuth on a 75-yard heave. The 75-yard toss followed back-to-back interceptions by both Bauta and Stevens.

“I just wish we would have started faster as an offense,” Bauta said. “But I think how we kind of settled down towards the middle of the scrimmage and at the end, I thought that was good. It was good to see that from everybody. Three touchdowns, I’m just doing my job.”

Despite the slow start, Bauta finished the day going 16-29 for 203-yards, three touchdowns and one interception.
Quarterbacks finished the day with a combined 455-yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions.

One player who turned some heads throughout the scrimmage was redshirt junior Dalyn Dawkins. The shifty halfback scampered for 147-yards on 23 carries. Dawkins rattled off back-to-back gains of 34 and 27-yards respectively in the second quarter.

(Luke Walker/ The Collegian)
(Luke Walker/ The Collegian)

For the most part, Dawkins had the backfield to himself, as fellow running back Izzy Mathews was in orange for limited contact and Bryce Peters not playing.

The offense had its struggles early and often, but was able to put together successful drives as the game went on.

After the game head coach Mike Bobo was asked what the current quarterback depth chart looked like.

“Nick Stevens and Faton Bauta are co-No. 1s heading into the summer,” Bobo said. “Collin Hill is third right now.”

Collegian sports reporter Chad Deutschman can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @ChadDeutschman.