CSU women’s basketball ranked for first time in over a decade

Amidst a 21-game winning streak and a 24-1 record, the Colorado State women’s basketball team is ranked in the AP Top 25 poll for the first time since Nov. 18, 2002.

Colorado State, which is currently ranked No. 25 in the poll, is the first Mountain West team to crack the top 25 since TCU in 2010, before it moved to the Big 12.

The Rams’ only loss of the season was a one-point defeat on the road at Penn. Since that game, Colorado State holds the second-longest winning streak in the nation, trailing only UConn. Over those games, the Rams have dominated their opponents, winning by an average of 18.6 points per game.

“It is great recognition for our program and for the hard work this team has put in, but it isn’t going to change our approach to everything we do,” head coach Ryun Williams said.

“From the beginning, our goals have always been ones we can control — top 25 voting is something we cannot control. We know that we are going to continue to get every opponent’s best effort — maybe even more so now — and we are going to have to continue to play well to reach our ultimate goal. It is fun for our players to see that people across the country are starting to take notice, and it’s also a great thing for our fans who have been tremendous all year. We’re thankful for their support, and it’s something they can enjoy, too, but we have a lot of work to do and our goals are still in front of us.”

Under Williams, CSU has become one of the elite teams in college basketball. Colorado State is on track to boast its best defense in school history. Currently ranked No. 9 in the nation in scoring defense (51.9 points per game) and No. 5 in opponent field goal percentage (33.3 percent) CSU has found a recipe for success.

The Rams will look to remain unbeaten in league play and keep their historic winning streak alive this Wednesday when they travel to New Mexico to take on the Lobos at 7 p.m. MT.

Collegian Sports Reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @JustinSportsCSU.