Despite setting records, Rams fall just short after scoring error

Three school records were thought to be enough for a Colorado State women’s track and field win Saturday, until a scoring error was corrected Sunday which actually gave Nebraska a narrow win at the New Mexico Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Led by senior Karly Reimel, junior Leah Fair and junior Emily Romo, the Rams scored 108.5 points (though it was initially scored as 113.5 points), while Nebraska finished with a recalculated score of 110 for the win.

Reimel’s mark of 13 feet and 3.5 inches in the women’s pole vault broke the CSU indoor school record that she set only a week ago. Fair also broke her own indoor school record in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.95 seconds. Romo’s time of 55.04 seconds in the 400-meter dash smashed an indoor school record that had not been broken in 11 years.

All three women finished second in their respective events, but Fair also took home a first place finish in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.45 seconds.

“I thought across the board our women competed with a lot of fire,” CSU head coach Brian Bedard said. “The sprints crew really started to roll. They showed a lot of support for each other. They’re into it.”

Bedard said that the event carried some extra weight, but that statement came before the scoring error was revealed which overturned what he thought was a CSU win.

“I’ve been at CSU for 27 years and I can’t remember the last time our women beat Nebraska,” Bedard said.  “Any time there’s a scored meet, (Nebraska) wants to win it. We’re very happy to get a win against Nebraska.”

Darby Gilfillan finished first in the women’s 3,000-meter run, Aaliyah Pete finished second in the women’s shot put and Macy Kreutz finished second in the women’s 200-meter dash.

The CSU men’s team did not finish quite as strong as the women, tying for fifth place with Texas Christian University.

The star of the day for the men’s team was sophomore Jerrel Mock who ran away with a dominating win in the 3,000-meter race. Mock set a personal best with a time of 8:09.67, winning the race by almost 20 seconds.

The event marked the first race of the 2015-2016 indoor track season for Mock, who won the 2015 Mountain West individual cross country championship en route to a Division I All-American season.

Even with the dominant performance, Bedard said Mock could have been even better.

“I think Jerrell goes to nationals off that race if he’s not lapping everyone,” Bedard said. “He had to lap the whole field and stay in the second lane for the last half of the race. It was a massive effort on his part.”

After finishing first in the 60-meter dash last week in Lincoln Nebraska, senior Josh DeLoach took second in the men’s 60-meter dash with a time of 6.67 seconds.

DeLoach and Mock highlighted the day for the men’s fifth place finish.

The majority of the team takes a break next weekend before returning to action on Feb. 12-13 at the Don Kirby Invitational back in Albuquerque. Multi-event athletes compete this next weekend at the Wyoming Invite on Feb. 5, and at the New Mexico Classic and Multis on Feb. 5-6.

Collegian Sports Reporter Eric Wolf can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @eric_wolf5.