Staff Picks: CSU vs. University of Nevada Las Vegas

The Collegian sports desk gives their thoughts on the Senior night matchup with UNLV.

Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy
Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy

Score: 27- 17 Colorado State

Prediction: Simply put, CSU is not going to lose at home on senior night. Two weeks ago, the Rams were trading punches with San Diego State for an entire half. They’re battle tested enough to knock UNLV down and out, as long as they don’t know themselves out first. CSU has shot itself in the foot time and time again, and still be in it until the very end in multiple losses. The Rebels won’t be able to take advantage – they aren’t Minnesota, SDSU, etc. The Rams should win a tough game at home in comfortable fashion.

_______________________________________________

Football Reporter Keegan Pope
Football Reporter Keegan Pope

Score: 31-14 Colorado State

Prediction:  Five years have passed since Trent Matthews, Sam Carlson and Co. came to CSU’s campus. In that span, they’ve seen three different head coaches, two losing seasons and two winning ones. What a journey it’s been. As for Saturday, expect to see CSU’s defense dominate early and often against an overmatched UNLV team. The Rams are feeling good coming off of a 26-7 blowout win over Wyoming, and you can guarantee there will be a lot of emotions as CSU says goodbye to 26 seniors. The Rebels have been susceptible to the big play, so don’t be surprised to see Nick Stevens and Rashard Higgins test the Rebels’ defense down the field. CSU is now two wins away from bowl eligibility, and they should pick up one of those Saturday.

CTV Sports Producer Travis Green
CTV Sports Producer Travis Green

Score: 35-21 Colorado State

Prediction: CSU’s seniors will ride off into the sunset with a win and find themselves one step closer to becoming bowl eligible this Saturday. Last week in Laramie the Rams were lifted by physical play from the defense and a fresh Dalyn Dawkins. Expect a similar game from CSU this weekend. With the possible return of Jasen Oden Jr. and an energized Dawkins, the Rams will be runnin’ all over the Runnin’ Rebels for win number five.

CTV Sports Anchor Brett Kennedy
CTV Sports Anchor Brett Kennedy

Score: 34-24 Colorado State

Prediction: 

CSU is licking its chops at the opportunity of getting into a third straight bowl game and it gets one step closer on Saturday. I don’t see a 3-6 UNLV team posing a huge threat to these Rams, especially on senior night. The upperclassman will be jacked up to play in this game especially Trent Matthews and Kevin Pierre-Louis who I expect are going to knock the living crud out of some people. Defensive ends Joe Kawulok and Martavious Foster are seniors as well and with it being senior night, their intensity might bring a rise in the QB sack total for the Rams defense in this game. Students better show up to this game because coach Mike Bobo is buying everyone pizza! Free food!

Sports Reporter Justin Michael
Sports Reporter Justin Michael

Score: 30-13 Colorado State

Prediction: This senior class has been apart of the reformation of CSU football and I can honestly say I will miss watching them play. Saturday night we’re all invited to a pizza party at Hughes to send them off properly. UNLV comes into the game needing to win out for bowl eligibility, so expect the running rebels to put up a fight but CSU is the superior team, like they were against Wyoming, and like they should be against the rest of their opponents on the schedule. Expect CSU to handle UNLV rather easily in what will be 26 player’s last game at Hughes. Bold prediction for the game: Rashard Higgins has a breakout game for the season, brings in ten catches and three touchdowns.

Collegian Sports Desk can be reached a sports@collegian.com.