CSU men’s golf team continues hot start with win at Ram Masters Invitational

The Colorado State men’s golf team has reigned supreme in back-to-back tournaments to start the 2015 season, winning the Ram Masters Invitational for a second consecutive year Tuesday. 

CSU put on a record breaking performance in their own backyard as the tournament is hosted in Fort Collins. The victory was the product of a well-rounded team performance. CSU finished with a total score of 839 (one-under par) for the three-day tournament. The Rams’ score is the lowest in the history of the tournament, breaking the previous record of 847 set by Denver University in 2013.

Colorado State finished 10 strokes ahead of Kansas, one of the toughest teams CSU will face all season. The Rams entered Tuesday’s final round leading Kansas by one stroke. When it mattered most, the Rams were able to hold off the Jayhawks, who are coached by former CSU coach Jamie Bermel.

Three different CSU golfers finished in the top-five of the tournament. Senior Dominic Kieffer and sophomore Max Oelfke tied for second with an overall score of 208 (2-under par).  

“It’s been another extremely solid tournament for everyone on the team,” Kieffer said.

Head coach Christian Newton agreed with the senior.

“I couldn’t be more happy with how the team competed this week,” Newton added.

Freshman Kyler Dunkle finished in fourth place, shooting a 210 (even par). The young golfer was just playing in the second tournament of his collegiate career. Jimmy Makloski tied teammate Colton Yates for 19th overall, putting all five CSU team competitors in the top-20 of the 88-player field. Makloski and Yates each shot 218 (eight-over par).

CSU also had multiple golfers compete as individuals, with their scores not effecting team rankings. Freshman Jake Staiano finished tied for eighth, shooting a 212 (2-over par). Blake Cannon tied for 14th, finishing 7-over par. Juniors Alec Bone finished tied for 38th, and Logan Iverson tied for 58th. 

Going into the season, CSU was focused on winning this tournament, and competing against Kansas specifically.

“(The Jayhawks) are a legitimate top-50 program,” Newton said prior to the tournament. “We’ll have our hands full trying to beat those guys. On paper, those guys will probably be the best in the field.”

CSU will look to win a third straight tournament this Friday and Saturday, competing in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate, hosted by New Mexico. That leaves the Rams with little time to prepare, but they are hoping the momentum from their hot start will carry over.

Collegian Sports Reporter Justin Michael can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @JustinSportsCSU.