Q&A: get to know CSU volleyball senior transfer Alex Reid

The Rams gained another player with tournament experience in Long Beach State transfer Alex Reid. The senior outside hitter started all 61 games for over the past two years for LBSU. She ranked third on the team in kills (2.77) and digs per set (2.71) in her junior year as she helped lead the 49ers to a Big West title. 

Reid – originally from Aurora, Colorado – was named an AVCA High School All-American as a senior at Grandview High School. Hilbert expects her to be both a leader and a significant contributor on the court in her one and only season with the Rams.

Here’s a little more about Reid, in her own words:

Q: What brought you to CSU?

AR: I wasn’t where I wanted to be at volleyball- and college-wise, so I thought it was time to make a change. I had been recruited previously by CSU, so I really loved the school.

Q: Why did you choose LBSU over CSU at the time?

AR: It was a big decision. I really wanted to be coached by Brian (Gimmillaro) who is the coach at Long Beach, because he had a lot of Olympic players and professional players. When I went to visit the school, of course it was right by the beach, and it was a lot different experience than being in Colorado. It was a complete culture shock and I loved it.

Q: What other schools recruited you in high school?

AR: I actually was kind of a late bloomer because I injured myself my sophomore year, so I was out for a while. It wasn’t until I was going into my senior year that I started getting recruited. Georgia was looking at me – that’s back when (CSU assistant coach) Brooke Coulter was there – so I had that. Then Oregon and Indiana were among the others.

Q: Did you ever play against any of your current teammates while you were growing up in Colorado?

AR: I played with Grace (Gordon) on my team in high school. Then, not in high school but in club, I played against Jaime (Colaizzi). I always hated playing against her, because she always dug me. When I came here it was like, finally, she’s on my team now.

Q: How would you describe your game?

AR: I think I play a lot of different shots. I’m not always a power hitter. I like to do a lot of roll shots, tips … changing it up and doing different stuff. That’s me as a hitter. That’s what I like to do a lot.

Q: How has it been adjusting to Hilbert and his staff?

AR: As a senior transfer, he kind of just lets me go. If he needs to make little critiques here and there, then he may suggest stuff. But for the most part he has kind of let me be free, which I really like. I’m able to use all the technique I’ve learned previously.

Q: So it has been a smooth transition?

AR: When I came here, I felt like it was really natural. All the girls respected me and Tom (Hilbert) respected me. The first meeting with me, he told me I was a natural born leader, and I just want you to give. That’s all you can do is give to the program. So far, its been going pretty well.

Q: What’s your favorite volleyball memory?

AR: I probably have two. First, being recruited during Junior Olympics. I thought that was super cool because I had a bunch of college coaches there to see me and I felt famous and everything. Then coming here was super awesome. Everybody was really great to me and really accepted me into the family, so that was really cool for me.

Q: Any game-day rituals?

AR: I don’t have any pre-game rituals, but when I play, I touch the tongues of my shoes before plays. Especially when I’m passing. I don’t know, I’ve just done it since high school.

Q: What does Alex Reid’s pre-game music playlist look like?

AR: I like listening to a lot of Eminem, which is kinda weird because I don’t usually listen to Eminem or anything. But before I play, I like listening to it.

Q: When you’re not playing volleyball, what are you doing?

AR: I love to cook and bake. That’s a hobby I’ve had for a while.

Q: What’s your best dish?

AR: Hmmm, I don’t know about a meal, but my favorite thing to make is crème brûlée.

Q: What would you would like to after your college career?

AR: I would like to continue playing volleyball. Hopefully go overseas and play professionally. After that, or if that doesn’t work out, I’d love to get my master’s degree in physical therapy.

Q: What are you looking forward to most about this season?

AR: Just playing. Playing with this team. I went through spring with them and those games aren’t really like the same thing. You’re still playing and it’s a game but it’s not that same type of feeling. They’ve really become my family, so just being able to put what we worked on into play.

Collegian Sports Editor Emmett McCarthy can be reached by email at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @emccarthy22.