Coach on a Couch Fantasy Football Blog: Week 6

Week 5 Recap

Demaryius Thomas WR, DEN, had a performance reminiscent of last year’s season, as he ran circles around the Arizona Cardinals defense. Thomas reeled in 8 passes for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns. DT has a favorable matchup this week against a Jets defense that has struggled with preventing the pass. The Jets secondary has allowed a receiver to gain over 100 yards, in 3 of their last 4 games. These receivers included Jordy Nelson (209 yds), Alshon Jeffery (105 yds), and Golden Tate (116 yds). You can expect Thomas to join this group. Prediction: 17 pts; 110 yds and 1 TD

Russell Wilson QB, SEA, was a dual threat on Monday night, against the Washington Redskins. Wilson threw for 201 yards and 2 touchdowns, while adding 122 yards and another score on the ground. Seattle faces the Dallas Cowboys this week, who have held opposing quarterbacks in check, allowing the 11th fewest fantasy points to QBs. This being said, Wilson has played well at home, averaging 17.5 fantasy points over his last 8 home appearances. Prediction: 19 pts; 220 yds and 2 TDs

Branden Oliver RB, SD, made the most of his opportunity, after replacing an injured Donald Brown. Oliver’s breakout performance was very impressive as he averaged 6 yards per carry, against a stingy Jets run defense. Oliver will continue to produce for the Chargers in the absence of Ryan Mathews and Donald Brown. San Diego plays against an Oakland Raiders defense that has allowed the 5th most fantasy points to RBs. Prediction: 15 pts; 90 yds and 1 TD

Start Em’

Jay Cutler QB, CHI, has had 5 turnovers in the past 2 games, but has still remained consistent from a fantasy stand-point.Cutler has thrown for 2 touchdowns in every week, except for week 2 when he threw 4. Cutler and the Bears will be in a shootout on Sunday against an Atlanta team, who is similar to Chicago, featuring a high powered offense and a less than mediocre defense. Atlanta has given up 15 fantasy points per game to QBs. Prediction: 22 pts; 280 yds and 2 TDs

Ben Tate RB, CLE, is now healed of his injury and has reassumed the role of leading rusher for the Cleveland Browns. He posted 124 yards on 5.6 yards per carry, last week in Tennessee. This week Tate will face division rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers, who he faced in week 1 when he injured his knee. In that game the Browns racked up 173 yards on the ground, 41 of which came from Tate before he left. Expect Tate to exact revenge for his injury. Prediction: 15 pts; 90 yds and 1 TD

Mohamed Sanu WR, CIN, will be a bit of a sleeper this week. Sanu has had 2 receiving touchdowns on the season, while throwing for one as well. With AJ Green out this week, Sanu will see more targets which will lead to a higher production out of him. Expect Andy Dalton to rely on Sanu as his main man in the passing game. Prediction: 14 pts; 80 yds and 1 TD

Sit Em’

Matthew Stafford QB, DET, could be without Detroit’s main receiving threat in Calvin Johnson. If Megatron is unable to play then Stafford’s numbers will suffer. When Johnson went down with an injury in week 3 against the Packers, Stafford finished with just 3 fantasy points. Plus Stafford was banged up last week when he was sacked a career-high 6 times. Minnesota has allowed the 10th fewest fantasy points to QBs. Prediction: 17 pts; 220 yds, 2 TDs, and 1 INT

Zac Stacy RB, STL, will be less than 100% on Monday night with a calf injury. Stacy will share the workload with Benny Cunningham as he tries to ease back from his injury. In addition to his injury status, Stacy faces the tough 49ers run defense who have allowed the 9th fewest fantasy points to RBs. Stacy only finished with 72 yards in his last outing against San Francisco. Prediction: 6 pts; 60 yds

Sammy Watkins WR, BUF, saw 13 targets last week with a new arm in Kyle Orton. Buffalo will still try to get the ball in the rookie playmaker’s hands this week, but will experience difficulty as he will be blanketed by Darrelle Revis. Cover man Brandon Browner will be coming back from suspension, making this a very solid New England secondary. Prediction: 6 pts; 60 yds

Top Players by Position

QB

Peyton Manning, DEN: Faces a Jets secondary that has allowed multiple passing touchdowns in all 5 games. Prediction: 32 pts; 320 yds and 4 TDs

Philip Rivers, SD: Has been the best QB to this point of the season, and faces an Oakland defense that he has shredded in his last 4 meetings, with 346 yards per game and 8 touchdowns. Prediction: 25 pts; 260 yds and 3 TDs

Matt Ryan, ATL: Will be back at home against a Bears defense that has allowed the 10th most fantasy points to QBs. Prediction: 24 pts; 320 yds and 2 TDs

RB

Matt Forte, CHI: Faces a Falcons defense that has allowed the most fantasy points per game to opposing running backs. Prediction: 18 pts; 70 rush yds, 50 rec yds, and 1 TD

Marshawn Lynch, SEA: Is becoming more involved in the passing game, making him even more of a threat. Prediction: 18 pts; 90 rush yds, 30 rec yds, and 1 TD

Le’Veon Bell, PIT: Had 197 total yards in week 1 against Cleveland, this matchup will bode well for him again. Prediction: 18 pts; 80 rush yds, 40 rec yds, and 1 TD

WR

Julio Jones, ATL: Is the leading receiver in a high powered Atlanta offense, which will face the Bears who have allowed the 2nd most fantasy points to receivers. Prediction: 17 pts; 110 yds and 1 TD

Antonio Brown, CLE: Has Cleveland’s number, racking up at least 80 yards or a touchdown in each of his matchups against Cleveland since his rookie season in 2010. Prediction: 15 pts; 90 yds and 1 TD

Jordy Nelson, GB: Will look to torch the Dolphins secondary, as part of the most dynamic duo in the league. Prediction: 14 pts; 80 yds and 1 TD

Injury Report

Out

Donald Brown RB, SD

Rashad Jennings RB, NYG

Toby Gerhart RB, JAX

Montee Ball RB, DEN

DeAngelo Williams RB, CAR

Questionable

Greg Olsen TE, CAR

Drew Stanton QB, ARI

Fred Jackson RB, BUF

Vincent Jackson WR, TB

Reggie Bush RB, DET

Zac Stacy RB, STL

Jordan Reed TE, WAS

AJ Green WR, CIN

Tom Brady QB, NE

Carson Palmer QB, ARI

Calvin Johnson (Doubtful)

Probable

Knowshon Moreno RB, MIA

Michael Crabtree WR, SF

Mike Wallace WR, MIA

Percy Harvin WR, SEA

Brandon Marshall WR, CHI

Ben Tate RB, CLE

Dez Bryant WR, DAL

Jeremy Maclin WR, PHI

Frank Gore RB, SF

Keenan Allen WR, SD

Cordarrelle Patterson WR, MIN

Tony Romo QB, DAL

Bye Weeks: Kansas City and New Orleans

See you next week for another edition of Coach on a Couch!

Collegian Sports Reporter Alec Grimes can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @GrimesAlec.