Coach on a Couch Fantasy Football Blog: Week 5

Week 4 Recap:

In an exciting week in fantasy football that featured many high scoring players, the quarterbacks were the ones who led the way. The top two fantasy scorers consisted of quarterbacks that each threw for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Eli Manning QB, NYG, had a breakout performance in a blowout win against the Washington Redskins. Manning had his first 300 yard passing game and his first rushing touchdown of the season. Manning and the Giants, who are looking to extend their win streak to 3 and go above .500 on the season, will be facing a mediocre Atlanta defense. Atlanta allowed rookie QB Teddy Bridgewater to throw for 300 yards in his first NFL start last week. Eli will have a favorable matchup and should be able to put up decent numbers. Prediction: 19 pts; 260 yds, 2 TDs, and 1 INT

Andrew Luck QB, IND, nearly eclipsed 400 passing yards and had his second consecutive game with 4 passing touchdowns. Luck has thrown for multiple touchdowns in each of his 4 games this season, and leads the NFL in passing yards and passing touchdowns. The Colts play host to the Baltimore Ravens this week. The Ravens pass defense is ranked 24th this year, making this an ideal matchup for Luck to continue his strong play. In addition, Luck has 14 touchdowns in his last 5 home games. Prediction: 25 pts; 340 yds and 2 TDs

Jamaal Charles RB, KC, finally rewarded his fantasy owners, many of which used a first round pick on him. The Kansas City RB looked to be unfazed by the ankle sprain suffered 2 weeks ago, as he dashed for 92 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. Charles also added 2 receiving touchdowns to make him the highest scoring fantasy RB of the week. Unfortunately, for Charles and his fantasy owners, he will face a tough 49ers defense that has allowed the second fewest fantasy points to RBs this year. However, if Charles can do half of what he did against the Patriots he will still be a good option at RB. Prediction: 12 pts; 60 yds and 1 TD

Start Em’:

Russell Wilson QB, SEA, is coming off of a bye this week and will have a prime-time matchup against the Washington Redskins. This will be a good matchup for Wilson, since Washington made Eli Manning look like his older brother Peyton last week. Washington has allowed 625 passing yards and 7 touchdowns in the last two games. Wilson has thrown multiple touchdowns in each game, while throwing only one interception on the season. Prediction: 18 pts; 210 yds and 2 TDs

Zac Stacy RB, STL, is also coming off of a bye week and will matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles. Philadelphia has allowed the tenth most fantasy points to opposing RBs this season. Stacy will see a lot of action this week, as Benny Cunningham is becoming less of a factor in the St. Louis backfield. Prediction: 12 pts; 60 yds and 1 TD

Kelvin Benjamin WR, CAR, now has double digit fantasy points in 3 of the 4 games this season. Benjamin faces the Chicago Bears, who have allowed a wide receiver to score a touchdown in the last three games. The Bears have allowed the sixth most fantasy points to WRs this season. Expect the rookie to lead the way for the Panthers receiving corps. Prediction: 15 pts; 90 yds and 1 TD

Sit Em’:

Joe Flacco QB, BAL, is coming off of his best game of the season, but he will experience a struggle this week. Flacco is historically bad on the road, he has scored less than 20 fantasy points in 8 of his last 10 games on the road. Expect Flacco to play decent, but resist relying on him as your number one QB. Prediction: 16 pts; 200 yds, 2 TDs, and 1 INT

Steven Jackson RB, ATL, has only played 38.8% of Atlanta’s snaps this season, while sharing carries with Jacquizz Rodgers and Antone Smith. Jackson has yet to rush for over 60 yards in a game, and he has just one touchdown on the season. The only upside of Jackson is his production on the goal line, but if he can’t punch it in then he will put up very few points. Prediction: 5 pts; 50 yds

Larry Fitzgerald WR, ARI, is still without a single touchdown on the season. With Drew Stanton starting for the injured Carson Palmer, Fitzgerald’s chances of success will only decrease. On top of it all, the Cardinals will be facing the Broncos, who have allowed the ninth fewest fantasy points to receivers. Prediction: 4 pts; 40 yds

Top Players by Position:

QB:

Drew Brees, NO: Possibly the best active QB at home. Plus the Saints are facing a Bucs defense that has allowed 56 points in a game this season. Prediction: 27 pts; 300 yds and 3 TDs

Peyton Manning, DEN: Is 16-2 in Denver with 317 yards per game, 55 TDs, and just 8 INTs. Prediction: 26 pts; 280 yds and 3 TDs

Philip Rivers, SD: Faces a Jets defense that has allowed the second most fantasy points to QBs this season. Prediciton: 25 pts; 260 yds and 3 TDs

RB:

DeMarco Murray, DAL: Has rushed for over 100 yds/game with a TD in each game. Prediction: 18 pts; 120 yds and 1 TD

Le’Veon Bell, PIT: Faces the league’s worst run defense in Jacksonville. Prediction: 16 pts; 100 yds and 1 TD

Marshawn Lynch, SEA: Is rested up after a bye week and will look to run through Washington’s defense. Prediction: 14 pts; 80 yds and 1 TD

WR:

Antonio Brown, PIT: Has 4 TDs in the last 2 games and faces a weak Jags defense. Prediction: 18 pts; 120 yds and 1 TDs

Julio Jones, ATL: Will be Matt Ryan’s top target against a Giants defense that has allowed the 13th most fantasy points to receivers. Prediction: 17 pts; 110 yds and 1 TD

Calvin Johnson, DET: Is coming off of a game with just 2 catches for 12 yards, however you simply can’t sit this guy. Prediction: 14 pts; 80 yds and 1 TD

Injury Report:

Out: DeAngelo Williams RB, CAR, Joique Bell RB, DET, Derek Carr QB, OAK, Knowshon Moreno RB, MIA, Mike Evans WR, TB

Questionable: Golden Tate WR, DET, Arian Foster RB, HOU, Ben Tate RB, CLE, Calvin Johnson WR, DET, Brandon Marshall WR, CHI, Eric Decker WR, NYJ, DeSean Jackson WR, WAS, Jordan Reed TE, WAS, Vernon Davis TE, SF

Probable: Toby Gerhart RB, JAX, Roddy White WR, ATL, Rob Gronkowski TE, NE, Bernard Pierce RB, BAL, T.Y. Hilton WR, IND, Frank Gore RB, SF, Vincent Jackson WR, TB, Chris Johnson RB, NYJ, Alfred Morris RB, WAS, Jamaal Charles RB, KC, Andre Johnson WR, HOU, Malcolm Floyd WR, SD, Jeremy Maclin WR, PHI, Mike Wallace WR, MIA, Steve Smith Sr. WR, BAL, Michael Crabtree WR, SF, Ben Roethlisberger QB, PIT, Dez Bryant WR, DAL, Doug Martin RB, TB, Antonio Gates TE, SD, Tony Romo QB, DAL, Julio Jones WR, ATL, A.J. Green WR, CIN

Bye Weeks: Oakland and Miami

Check back next week for more insight and predictions.

Collegian Sports Reporter Alec Grimes can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @GrimesAlec.