CSU track and field striding high into Conference championships

Over the weekend, both the men and women’s CSU track team made strides at the Air Force Open in Colorado Springs and Husky Invitational in Seattle.

“It was a great weekend for the Rams,” head coach Brian Bedard said. “We had highlights in several event areas. The team is really peaking well for the Mountain West Conference Championships.”

Among the top performances: a clean sweep of the AFA Open podium in the weight throw for CSU, led by Alex Pott’s throw of 66-5, a personal best. Teammates Ken Harriman and Jake Schneeberger, placed second and third respectively, also threw personal best marks.

Sam Little, for whom setting personal records has become the norm, clocked in at 8.07, good for first place in Colorado Springs.

Across the country, Little’s hurdling-counterpart, senior Trevor Brown edged out fierce Pac-12 competition to also finish first, recording a personal best time of 7.88. The coaches have been expecting a lot out of Brown, but his steadily increasing level of competition continues to surprise even then.

Brown was not the only Ram to impress Seattle spectators as nine CSU athletes recorded personal bests. Senior Holly Keeper’s 4:53.04 mile was the highlight of the meet, followed by consecutive finishes from Christian Meyer and Ben Larson, whose times of 14:34.49 and 14:34.77 ranks them seventh and eighth all-time in the 5,000 meter run for CSU.

“Overall, we had a solid meet in Washington,” distance coach Art Siemers said. “A lot of athletes made great strides as we enter the Conference meet.”

The strength of performance from the entire team at both location comes at a pivotal time as they head into the indoor championships. The team will split once again this weekend; half to Laramie, Wyoming for the Robert Shine Invitational and half to New Mexico for the USA Championships.

Collegian Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @c_rasta5.