CSU Homecoming 2013: Don’t forget volleyball’s Moby Magic

Homecoming as a whole is about joining together as Ram Nation and sharing school spirit throughout the campus.

While this weekend gives opportunities to clubs, organizations and community members to all share in traditions, huge emphasis is also placed on Colorado State athletics.

With an undefeated record of 13-0 at time of print and a No. 13 national ranking, CSU volleyball has earned a focus of the university’s Homecoming excitement.

“Homecoming is a special day because it is like a big family reunion for Colorado State University,” head coach Tom Hilbert said. “A university is a family, I think Homecoming is the way you get that family together once a year.”

The 2013 theme is #StalwartRam, meaning loyal, strong and brave. The theme goes a ways to encourage students, alumni and community members to attend Saturday’s game.

Senior middle blocker Samantha Peters emphasized in Wednesday’s practice how important fan interaction is for a Homecoming win and a successful season.

“I don’t think people quite understand ‘Moby Magic’ until they get in here,” she said. “When we get a big point, and the gym erupts to be part of that. (It) isn’t just exciting for us on the court, it’s exciting for the fans. Since we’re pretty good this year and have quite the record, we’re going to put on a show for them.”

Besides seeing plays on the court, look out for Peters in the homecoming parade and freshmen Michelle Lawrence and Acacia Andrews at the pep rally.

Hilbert said Homecoming is a special weekend. It is a way for our players to participate in different aspects besides the volleyball game. CSU will take the court Saturday, Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m. against Boise State. The Broncos are 8-7 overall and 2-3 in the MW. Last season, the Rams defeated the Broncos in both appearances.

“I love playing during homecoming cause we get a bigger crowd and its like a big pump up week and everyone’s parents are here,” junior setter Deedra Foss said. “It’s a lot of fun and its a tradition, so it means a lot to the school and to us.”

Game time was pushed in order to accommodate fans commuting from the football game held at Hughes Stadium.

“Part of our job as an athletic team is to create a sense of pride in unity for our university and for all the students that are here now and all the students that were here before. We take that seriously. We want to represent this school well, and give everyone a good feeling about CSU and we think winning definitely does that.”

Volleyball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.