Brief: CSU golf teams begin their seasons

The Colorado State men’s golf team kicked off its season in Colorado Springs with a field of 16 teams at Eisenhower Golf Course for the Gene Miranda Falcon Invitational.

The two-day shootout, which spanned Sunday and Monday, played host to six of CSU’s Mountain West opponents as well as in-state rival CU-Boulder. The Rams finished tied for 12th place with Air Force’s second team, behind all conference opponents with a score of 888, which translates to 24 strokes above par.

Only two teams managed to finish below par; Texas-El Paso and Air Force, which won the invitational it played host for with an 849, 15 strokes under par.

The Rams were led by junior Cameron Harrell, who finished with a 72-stroke average, good for 15th place overall out of 88 golfers. Sophomore Dominic Kieffer, senior Parker Edens, junior Patrick Winther and sophomore Brett Wilson also competed for CSU.

The CSU women’s golf team also began play Sunday, holding on to a sixth place standing heading into Tuesday’s final day of the Colonel Wollenburg Ptarmigan Ram Classic. The invite has experienced a one-day delay because of weather conditions, which interrupted play on two separate occasions Monday.

Leading the CSU women’s team is senior Sarah Roering, who is currently sitting 11th through 30 holes.

Sports Editor Quentin Sickafoose can be reached at sports@collegian.com.