Amidst performance slumps, Kroenke family announces new Pepsi Center scoreboard and sound system

The world's largest screen of its kind will find home in Pepsi Center. Each screen providing 8.5 million pixels. (Photo courtesy: Denver Nuggets)
The world’s largest screen of its kind will find home in Pepsi Center. Each screen providing 8.5 million pixels. (Photo courtesy: Denver Nuggets)

DENVER- Kroenke Sports and Entertainment announced Thursday the addition of a brand new scoreboard and sound system at their Pepsi Center facility.  The new systems come as Kroenke Sports tries to revive their fan interaction amidst championship slumps throughout their large pool of professional sports franchises.

“We are excited to bring a new standard of excellence to our fans’ experience when attending events at Pepsi Center,” said Josh Kroenke, President of the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche and son of billionaire owner Stan Kroenke. “The new scoreboard, sound system and the technological improvements that come with each installation will provide fans with one of the best audiovisual presentations in all of sports.”

According to a press release, the new scoreboard will be the largest of its kind in the world.  The screens facing the West and East sidelines measure at 27-feet tall, and 48-feet wide. The smaller screens facing the North and South ends of the facility measure at 21-feet tall, 25-feet wide. Each board will provide a crystal clear image, displaying with 8.5 million pixels each. The end screens alone will be 300% larger than the original screens that displayed video to the entire arena.

Alongside the new visual system, a brand new sound system will find home in Pepsi Center this fall as well. According to Pepsi Center management, “the new loudspeakers consist of six line arrays that are 20 feet high and include four subwoofers mounted behind each array. Each loudspeaker in the array has a maximum power handling capability of 1,600 watts and each subwoofer has a maximum power handling capability of 2,400 watts.”

As for the iconic Pepsi Center ball the drops from the current screen, plans for it’s return were unannounced. The video display system and 3D audio technology are currently being built in South Dakota. Prices for the systems were not released. All additions to Pepsi Center will be ready for the opening of the Avalanche, Mammoth, and Nuggets seasons this Fall.

Content Producer Dillon Thomas can be reached at news@collegian.com