Stepping into big shoes as Sports Editor of the Collegian

SickafooseSome say those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I say I would be honored to.

This column was written from the chair reserved for the Sports Editor of the Rocky Mountain Collegian, a seat I had never experienced — until today.

I spent the past year intrigued by it. It’s an unfamiliar intimacy being in this position, but then again I also have 364 more days to delineate an idea of what it feels like.

Although my personal feelings have yet to set in, a picture I can flawlessly paint is the prestigiousness this chair presents. Many great men have occupied it, some of whom I was fortunate enough to not only work for, but also call my friends.

The handsome mug shot you saw in this very spot last week belongs to Kyle “The Big” Grabowski, the person you’ll see reporting courtside for ESPN someday.

Working under Kyle taught me the true definition of serving my reader. Regardless of how many page views a women’s lacrosse story would draw in at 10 p.m. on a Saturday, the importance of posting immediate results is a practice learned through him.

The guy who held the reins before him set the bar as Sports Editor, one that I plan on reaching and raising one more.

Cris Tiller’s involvement with a project called Notebook to Playbook and exceptional coverage of CSU athletics have served as inspiration to me that date back to the day I began writing.

Even Matt Stephens, an endowed sportswriter for the Coloradoan and personal favorite, once warmed the seat I currently sit in.

To be mentioned in the same sentence as these guys is an honor at the very least. Each person who has put in time here has exposed valuable knowledge to me that I plan on using in developing in my own brand.

A brand that will be described in the first column written by the next person to fill this title.

With the help of design guru Greg Mees, my plan for 2013-14 is to add more flavor to the Collegian’s sports section by producing a visual interest greater than years past.

You can expect to see information presented in artistic graphics and illustrations that will allow you to visualize each story beyond what words can tell. And, in turn, I can expect you to go straight for sports when you pick up each edition of the paper.

My ultimate goal is for every Ram fam to instinctively come to us for anything and everything pertaining to CSU athletics. By following us you will be as informed as we are, the team who will be covering every game and practice.

Working with CSU coaches and athletes over the course of the school year has also helped me realize the value of personal stories. This year I had the opportunity to meet incredibly interesting people and share their tales with the CSU community.

With that in mind, I’d like to present Feature Friday as part of the redesign of our newspaper. Once every week we will be running a profile that will allow our readers to establish a personal connection with CSU sports.

There is no doubt in my mind that this desk will exceed the public expectation.

To Tiller, Grabowski and Andrew Schaller, I sure as hell am going to miss you guys — especially the Monday meetings.

The four of us spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how I would be able to hold my own now that you all are graduating. However, I’m absolutely certain in the fact that I no longer worry.

I have a staff of passionate reporters who are all eager to follow in your footsteps. Words can’t describe how excited I am to thrive in the opportunity faced in front of me to make you proud.

At the end of it all, I will have you guys to thank for teaching me everything I know.

Sports Editor Quentin Sickafoose can be reached at sports@collegian.com.