CSU baseball wins four out of five against Williston College

Frankie Shipp, 18, makes contact against Williston State University on Sunday afternoon at City Park in Fort Collins. The Rams lost to Williston State University on Sunday but won four of five in the series.

Baseball giveth and it taketh away, so learned the CSU baseball team this weekend in their series against the Williston College Tetons, where they went 4-1.

The Rams looked outscored the Tetons 32-19 during the series.

“This weekend was outstanding,” CSU coach Nick Childs said. “I think our offense is really starting to hit on all cylinders.”

CSU’s starting pitching was exceptional as well, throwing a lot of strikes and forcing batters into easy pop ups or line drive outs.

“We were making mistakes, and it costs us,” Williston coach Shawn Cote said. “When we finally do square balls up, we were hitting them right to guys.”

Senior Alex Marshall, who pitched for the Rams in the first of Saturday’s two games, allowed just 3 runs in 6 innings.

“I was trying to give my team the best opportunity to win,” he said. “Williston (batters) are really disciplined, they knew what they wanted to swing at.”

Marshall exited the game in the 7th inning, junior Jacob Hesting took over, and the Rams won 8-4.

The Rams tied their season high for runs this season in Saturday’s second game with 12. Though they were ahead by as much as 7, the margin of victory became a narrow 12-11.

“We walked a few too many guys and made some errors in the field,” Childs said. “To give the other guys credit, they did a lot of things well at the plate and started taking advantage of our mistakes. That’s what a good team does.”

Williston started its comeback in the 5th inning, scoring 3 runs off of a double. Not to be outdone, the Rams smacked three doubles in a row followed by a single to send 5 runners across the plate.

“I’m just thrilled with how we fought back,” said Childs. “Every time they scored, we answered. That was the key to us winning that game.”

Every man in the Ram’s lineup contributed to their four consecutive victories, from quarterback-turned-pitcher, MJ McPeak, throwing four innings with just one run to senior first baseman Brad Spies’ consistent production on offense.

“I think we have played well as a team,” Spies said. “Prior to this weekend, we haven’t had nine guys who have really been able to hit well consistently. This weekend it’s been a lot better. We have all kind of found our stride.”

The Rams struggled Sunday against the Tetons, who were itching to retaliate after four straight losses. The final result was a stinging 14-5 loss. However, CSU is no stranger to hardship.

Their first half of the season has been plagued with inconsistency and unflattering final scores. For a 6-time NCBA Championship team, that sort of play is unwelcome.

Still, Childs is confident that this weekend was a turning point in the season, and they look forward to beginning conference play next weekend.

“We have had a ton of positives this weekend,” Childs said. “Those first four games were championship level baseball, if we continue to play like that, we will be national champs. Today was just a great learning day.”

Baseball Beat Reporter Cali Rastrelli can be reached at sports@collegian.com.