Letter to the Editor: Men and abortion

Photo from the 2004 March for Women's Lives, t...
Photo from the 2004 March for Women’s Lives, taken by me (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Why am I not surprised to see a man weighing in his opinion in favor of anti-choice? I found Cole [Buckon]’s guest letter completely tasteless and ignorant. “… the destruction of unwanted, inconvenient human beings.” A woman could be raped and get an abortion and you label that an ‘inconvenience.’

I also think you misunderstand the opinion of people who are pro-choice. No one who is pro-choice misunderstands the reality of an abortion. We are not naïve about what it looks like; we do not need enlarged photographs to inform of us of what abortion is.

The reason the photographs are a problem is because they can be extremely triggering. There are women on this campus who have had an abortion and seeing these photographs can be traumatic. There are also women on this campus who have had a miscarriage and seeing photographs can give them a very nice reminder of what they went through. Ultimately, Justice for All uses graphic photos to scare and manipulate students to accept their way of thinking.

Our cause is for privacy. Our cause is for respect. Our cause is for you to mind your own business. Our cause is protecting the right of women to make decisions about their body and to keep it between them and their doctor. Please feel free to join us in the 21st century and realize that we as men have no business telling women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

David Polizzi is a senior political science major