Peck: Sustainability, local focus, community building make FoCo beer heaven

Collegian | Bella Eckburg

Aaron Peck, Staff Reporter

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board. 

Northern Colorado and Fort Collins are often regarded as the Napa Valley of beer due to the large number of breweries in the area. With over 20 unique and specialized breweries, Fort Collins boasts the most impressive lineup for a city in terms of drink options for beer lovers. 

However, beer in Fort Collins is not just about enjoying a refreshing and tasteful drink; it is about supporting the local community. Beer plays an important role in Northern Colorado culture because it allows residents to support local businesses as well as build relationships. 

“Colorado has a rich history of brewing, dating back to the 1800s,” said Charlie Hoxmeier, chief brewing officer at Gilded Goat Brewing Company. “Many of the state’s early settlers were European immigrants who brought their brewing traditions with them, leading to the establishment of numerous breweries in the region. Beyond that, Colorado residents have developed a deep appreciation for craft beer. There is a pride and passion for locally brewed beers, and people in Colorado take pride in supporting their local breweries.”

Another important aspect of Colorado beer culture is the emphasis on brewing beer sustainably. Outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing and swimming in Horsetooth Reservoir are essential to the lives of many Colorado residents. Breweries in the area like Gilded Goat have recognized this and implemented sustainable practices to protect this lifestyle.

“Beer plays an integral role in how Fort Collins residents socialize with each other and build community. Breweries use their taprooms to not only showcase their craft beers but build relationships with the community by providing welcoming spaces for people to hang out.”

“We put a strong emphasis on sustainability and environmental stewardship,” Hoxmeier said. “We strive to reduce our impact on the environment and our valuable Poudre River Watershed through practices such as water conservation, waste reduction and energy efficiency. This awareness and appreciation for the local community and environment (are) a key feature of Colorado beer culture.”

Northern Colorado breweries help drive the local economy by sourcing their ingredients from nearby farms and family-owned businesses. 

“We take pride in supporting local farmers and suppliers and strive to incorporate Colorado-grown grains, hops and other ingredients into our beers,” Hoxmeier said. “This commitment to sourcing locally not only contributes to the quality and freshness of our beers but also helps support the local economy and reduce their carbon footprint.”

Beer plays an integral role in how Fort Collins residents socialize with each other and build community. Breweries use their taprooms to not only showcase their craft beers but build relationships with the community by providing welcoming spaces for people to hang out. 

“Craft beer plays a key role in Colorado’s culture by fostering social connections, community building and celebrations while also contributing to the state’s economic vitality,” Hoxmeier said. “The enthusiasm for craft beer, the socializing opportunities it provides and its integration with Colorado’s outdoor lifestyle all contribute to the state’s reputation as a craft beer mecca.”

In Fort Collins, beer is not just a means to get drunk but also a source of pride. It is grown, crafted and enjoyed by local residents, making Fort Collins beer heaven.

Reach Aaron Peck at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @Aa_peck7.