Lopez: Keep Colorado a safe space for trans people

Collegian | Trin Bonner

Dominique Lopez, Staff Reporter

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

On March 31 Fort Collins hosted its first-ever International Transgender Day of Visibility protest that discussed issues appearing in proposed legislation, such as discrimination against those who identify as transgender. The protest was announced in The Coloradoan March 28 to invite those interested in attending.

In Colorado, there are many forms of legislation that have been set in place to protect those in the LGBTQ+ community as well as reproductive rights. However, there are still legislators who try to propose bills to challenge this legislation.

Legislation that was proposed specifically against the rights of trans people included a sports ban back in February; however, that bill was not passed.

This same bill appeared in a piece I wrote on transgender athlete participation, specifically in addressing the challenges faced by Lia Thomas as a result of discrimination.

“Fort Collins’ protest also included a die-in, where those who are transgender lay on the ground, some covered in fake blood, to show the real impact the legislation could have on transgender individuals’ lives. We need to ensure Colorado acts as a safe space that can continue to support those fighting against discriminatory legislation being put forth in our own state.”

By hosting protests against these issues, those of us in Colorado who have some sense of privilege can be as open and as much of an ally as we can because the ability to cross over state lines and have proper care is not enough.

I must admit, as a cisgender woman who has lived in Colorado my entire life, I have a sense of privilege that follows me around on a daily basis; however, as a woman of color who has been spending time researching issues that affect people like me or those who I consider myself to be an ally to, I still try my best to give a voice to those who are affected and encourage more discussion.

Coloradans can do a lot to express support against discriminatory bills and even contribute to the conversation while leveraging their privilege.

Fort Collins’ protest also included a die-in where those who are transgender lay on the ground, some covered in fake blood, to show the real impact the legislation could have on transgender individuals’ lives. We need to ensure Colorado acts as a safe space that can continue to support those fighting against discriminatory legislation being put forth in our own state.

We can only do so much as Coloradans to speak out against what is plaguing our nation; however, we can still enact a change that may just make the world a better place for those within the LGBTQ+ community and also women, as they are both constantly targeted by discriminatory legislation.

There are many resources and accessible places in Colorado that we are fortunate to experience, participate in and share. These resources are things that should be shared with those outside of Colorado, but more than anything, they should be things that other states throughout the nation should all have access to, no matter what political party represents them.

Reach Dominique Lopez at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @caffeinateddee6.