Bravo and Gotta Go: 4/13-4/17

Monday, April 13

Bravo!

• Hillary Clinton’s presidential announcement video featured same-sex couples. According to the HRC, this is the “first time same-sex couples and marriage equality were included in a presidential campaign launch.”
  • Otter Pops are a delicious warm-weather snacks.
  • A $1 billion desalinization plant is being built in San Diego to help with California’s drought problem. Hurry up: fires move faster than construction crews

Gotta Go!

• The premiere of “Game of Thrones” has aired, which means there are already only nine episodes left before we’ll have to wait another year for more.
  • A woman in Philadelphia allegedly left her quadriplegic son alone in the woods for more than five days with nothing but a blanket and a Bible. She then went to Maryland to visit her boyfriend. And the mom of the year award goes to…
  • Buzzfeed posted a list of travel tips for women, such as wearing a fake wedding ring and, “If you’re going to be in a protest or mob situation that can get grabby, wearing (a one-piece bathing suit) under your clothes is a simple step.” This just reinforces rape culture and creates paranoia among women, preventing them from traveling the world. You know what would be helpful? If Buzzfeed published “45 Ways Not to Violate Women.”

Tuesday, April 14

Bravo!

• Kim and Khloe Kardashian visited their ancestral homeland of Armenia just before the centennial of the 1915 mass killings of as many as 1.5 million Armenians. Pope Francis called this “the first genocide of the 20th century” and yet many of us have never heard about it. Kudos to the Kardashians for using their celebrity to bring awareness to something instead of Kim’s butt.
  • Researchers have developed a high-resolution technique for uncovering the layers of paint in historic pieces that will give conservators more insight into the artist and their methods without destroying the artwork. Very cool.
  • Temple Grandin makes me proud to go to school here.

Gotta Go!

• Human Rights Watch reports Palestinian children at the age of 11 working in 100 degree weather on Israeli settlements, many of whom were exposed to pesticides, had to drop out of school to support their families, even pay medical expenses for work-related injuries. These are our allies?
  • A Larimer County sheriff deputy allegedly drove through Loveland residents’ yards in his off-duty vehicle, breaking their fences and fled the scene.
  • An Alaska Airlines flight took off with a ramp agent trapped in the front cargo hold.

Wednesday, April 15

Bravo!

• After a Connecticut high school removed “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” from the curriculum due to parental complaints, many literary organizations criticized the school’s decision. As author Stephen Chbosky said, it’s better to discuss the novel’s heavy topics in a structured setting rather than keeping teens in the dark.
  • Hillary eats Chipotle like the rest of us.
  • Scientists have been hard at work and have created an espresso machine that works in space. No more instant coffee for astronauts.

Gotta Go!

• Plaza preachers getting a bigger crowd than… really anything. Just ignore the self-made martyr, the attention keeps him coming back.
  • A search of 100,000 galaxies drew a blank in the search for aliens. Where are our intergalactic friends at, yo?
  • Tuesday was Equal Pay Day. A day selected each year by the national committee on Pay Equity, a coalition of women’s civil rights and labor groups. It’s 2015. Why is this still a thing? Women should have equal pay everyday.

Thursday, April 15

Bravo!

• Rep. Jared Polis, D-Colo., came in at number 39 on Out Magazine’s “Power 50,” the publication’s annual list of the most powerful LGBT-identified individuals.
  • Fast food workers and other low-wage jobs took to the streets to protest sub-poverty line wages, a “Fight for $15.” Keep fighting the good fight folks.
  • There are alternative methods of transportation in Fort Collins that are good for the environment.

Gotta Go!

• The tombstone of Hillary Clinton’s father was found tipped over this morning, a result of what many are suspecting was a form of political protest. Really, humanity? This is the lowest of the low.
  • Random two-minute afternoon hail storms.
  • Burley: Marco Rubio’s anti-Hillary political slogan calls her “Yesterday.” Ideology aside, trying to disparage Hillary by relating her to a lovely Beatles song is just bad marketing.

Collegian Editorial Board can reached at letters @collegian.com