The science of religion in the classroom

stecker
Res Stecker

It has been made apparent that there are some professors at CSU that feel the need to disclose their personal beliefs in the classroom. The talk around the water cooler is that in front of some classes that teach evolution, professors then launch out of the primordial soup and into their own lives.

We should all be very proud of these professors; these professional people who stick to their beliefs no matter the overwhelming pressure or evidence against them. There is really something to be said about always having your faith, no matter the lack of results it provides.

Some people may say that teaching religion does not belong in the classroom. But that does not make sense, if an instructor has personal beliefs that contradict the hundreds of years of science that go into making the theory that he or she is supposed to present, their beliefs should definitely take precedence.

The fact is, science and religion are not really far apart; they both actually share a very common history. The more investigative and pure science becomes, the more religion is rolled back. During the crusades, people expected miracles on a daily basis; today the only way a sane person can know God is if they just have faith and don’t question anything too much. And this is what our professors want to tell us by seeking religion, do not question things too much and it makes sense. Many an instructor has been known to fold when scrutinized with big life questions. This is when religion with its “just have faith” slogan can become an irrefutable basis for argument. Score one for the Lord.

Furthermore, we would not be where we are today scientifically if not for religion. The church did a great job after the Roman Empire of restricting science to heresy status. Thankfully they attempted to squash any seeds of doubt or theories that upset their carefully constructed artificial history. We do not want to be advancing too fast now, do we? I for one am glad that the 21st Century means great challenges instead of space colonization.

Thus, the church has always been there to keep science in check. Therefore, it has an absolutely inarguable position inside a classroom. Science is based on testable observations. While religion is based on proper prostration, the two are clearly inseparable. Also, it is completely ridiculous to assume or ask that people in positions of power and prestige that instruct the more intelligent minds of our generation be able to refrain from imparting their unsubstantiated beliefs on us.

If you are still not convinced that religion has a place in a room of scholarly thought and debate, then think of it this way. It is clearly impossible to get rid of religion, the smartest people in the world have been trying to disapprove it all the time, yet religion still has more followers than any other organization. Is that not the very basis of science? It is a theory that cannot be disproven, no matter how hard you scrutinize it, and therefore it must have some truth to it. Never mind that most of the biblical stories were ripped off the Egyptians and other ancient cultures, or that the text has been translated through several languages, or that most of the New Testament was thought up by men decades apart who today would be put in an insane asylum. The point is, people believe it, so it has a place in all facets of our daily lives.

So take a moment in your biology classes and thank your professors for giving you the opportunity to learn about something other than science. That is what you are here for, right, to learn? Even if what they are saying goes against every rational bone in your body, just remember, it is not a lie if you believe it.

You may be paying to go to school here as an engineer, or a biomedical researcher, but at the end of the day it does not matter if class time is taken up by your professor explaining how he can justify the Garden of Eden’s existence with the Origin of Species. This is about your soul, so even if you do not get an education, at least you are opened up to the possibility of being a drop out, but with the feeling of blissful ignorance.

Oh and if you are still not convinced, just have faith I am telling the truth.

Res Stecker is a devout follower of the religion of sarcasm. Feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com

In Brief:

Professors find it necessary to disclose their beliefs in the classroom

Even though evidence mounts against religion, you have to admire blind faith

Take a moment and thank your professors for teaching you something other than science