CSU should be spending money on financial aid

Isaac Morley
Isaac Morley

Money is everything, or if it isn’t everything it is what is powering the system we live in. At the moment, money is something that is getting harder to come by and that makes more decisions necessary. Especially at universities like our own.

Colorado State University is primarily a research based institution, this means that most of the funding it provides goes direct to and from research. Universities, as with any business, have to make choices about how they allocate funds. It is not conceivable that everything can be fully funded.

That being said, there are certain areas that we should be focusing on.

Universities have to market themselves and provide incentive for more students to come each year. This seems especially important in the current economic state we are in. The university is trying many different things, the most notable being the new, unneeded stadium. These money sinkholes may pay off in the long term, but what CSU needs to be focusing on is something more immediate that will draw in as many students as possible.

In order to do this, this incentive must be something that is beneficial both to the university and to the student body (or in this case the people, banks and wallets backing these students).

One of the largest staples of monetary income for Colorado State University is the tuition and student fees that students are paying each year. Thousands and thousands of dollars come pouring in every semester so that students can attend and receive a high level education. And with money on everyone’s mind, the greatest incentive is money.

The university should be focusing on feeding more money into student financial services. If we create many more scholarships for more students, each student has more incentive to come and continue coming.

This helps out students by creating less of a price for them, but still pay a fee to attend. More students attending, even at a lower cost to each, creates more money for the university, a portion of which should then, again, go back into funding more scholarships.

This symbiotic relationship will allow the entire community to benefit. With more people getting higher education, the community as a whole will benefit. The university will continue to be able to fund more programs with the increase in student tuition and students are happy at the lower overall cost to their education. This will create more job eligible workers in the work force who will then go on to potentially have jobs and families who they will then pay for to go to college.

The cycle will continue and with each cycle all parties involved will be better off. The university will still have its primary staples: research and tuition. While the stadium will bring more money in bursts, this solution provides a continuous increase in funds and happiness for everyone’s wallets.

Isaac Morley is a sophomore business and English education double major. He enjoys long walks on the beach and sipping virgin martinis after his finals are over. Follow him on Twitter @Isaac_Morley and write in to the Collegian at Letters@Collegian.com