Do women want chivalry, or equality?

Brittany Jordan
Brittany Jordan

Women have been fighting for the same rights as men for years. Women can now vote, and hold a job and own a home. You name it, we can do it. We have made our way out of the kitchen and into the real world.

However, we’re not quite there yet. Men still make a dollar to our seventy cents; in the workplace, women are still not paid for doing an equal, if not better, job than men.

But don’t worry — there are women out there that care enough to keep fighting for perfect equality.

I would challenge, however, that some women don’t want to be nearly as equal as the feminist movement calls for.

Hear me out here: I think that there are some instances in which women prefer men to take charge, while we are fine hanging back in the shadows.

As a woman, I still get butterflies when men pay for my dinner. In fact, if a man asked me to whip out my credit card on the first date, I would be a little offended. I work and I am financially and personally independent, but that doesn’t mean that I believe chivalry is dead.

I like having doors opened and chairs pulled out for me. I may be independent, but I still like being seen as a lady and expect men to treat me as such.

But in the feminist movement, there is no room for that. If we really wanted to be equal to the typical male, then we would be expected to take men out on dates.

I have to be honest; the equality envisioned by feminists is a little petrifying to me. In true equality, women would run half the companies and men would run half of the homes. And that seems oddly backwards to me.

Maybe I’m not progressive enough. Maybe I’m set in my ways. But I will be the first to tell you that men and women are so disproportionately different that there is no way they can be equal.

So, ladies, why don’t we take the time to appreciate all the privileges that we do have? We can get up in the morning and go to work, we can go to the voting polls and fill out a ballot, and we can walk down the street by ourselves without raised eyebrows.

I think that it’s time that we remember that there are plenty of women worldwide that do not have these privileges. There are women in countries where they are not even allowed to show their faces, and we’re whining over men being paid, on average, thirty cents more than we are? Let’s take a deep breath and get a little perspective.

So advocates for female equality need to take into consideration what American women actually want. There are plenty of women that are perfectly content working fewer hours than men, in order to spend more time with their families. In fact, a consistent majority of females that work full-time say that they would prefer to work part-time or not at all, as reported by Time magazine.

So while the equality advocates are busy raising hell over an average of thirty cents, there are women all over the country that couldn’t care less.

And I am one of them.

Bottom line: I like to revel in my femininity. I love men caring enough about me to pay for my meals and open doors for me.

Chivalry may not be dead, but it is being suffocated by the push for equality.

Brittany Jordan is a junior psychology major. Feedback of all varieties can be sent to letters@collegian.com.