Stop picking sides in the Middle East, the quandary of Israel and Palestine

When you go hiking in the mountains, you are often warned not to cross rivers because they are frequently deeper than they look. If you misjudge the depth, you can be swept under and drown.

The situation in Israel is very similar to that river.

I’m tired of people saying outright that Israel is wrong or the Palestinians are wrong. Those people are misjudging the depth of the situation severely, and ignorance is often very dangerous.

Reading the news has been hard for me because it all seems so incredibly biased against Israel. I understand that Israel has done some very bad things. Some of the Palestinian people are in horrible living situations. I feel for them.

The civilian attacks from Israel are wrong and hurting innocent people who only want to go about their day. The barricade on Gaza which prevents economic growth is only hurting the innocent, while the terrorists get resources elsewhere.

But there is another side to the coin. Terrorist attacks in Israel have killed thousands of Israelis. I should note that Israelis can be Muslim, Christian, or Jewish. When your little sister goes to a coffee shop in Israel, your parents won’t just worry about bad influences, but a bomb exploding and killing everyone inside.

The question comes down to, “How do you handle terrorism?” We’ve seen how America handles it.  Eleven years in the middle east, killing innocent people and putting our service men and women at risk. I am not making any comment on whether it was worth it or not, but only pointing out that is what happened.

Israel handles it differently. They have tried blockades, walls, tighter security, and yes, even violent retaliations.

Is this the right way to deal with it? No. But I would also argue that there isn’t a “right way” to handle terrorism. America refused to do nothing when the twin towers and pentagon were hit. Israel refuses to do nothing when coffee shops, malls, highways and supposedly safe places are hit.

Hating the actions of a country is one thing, but why this translates to people being against the idea of Israel is beyond me. Most, if not all, of the readers are Americans, so how would you feel if someone told you they thought America shouldn’t exist because of what was happening in the Middle East?

I may be opposed to many of the actions Israel has taken to fight the terrorist, but I am still strongly in support of the Jewish state. No one agrees one hundred percent with the American Governmental decisions, so hopefully this makes sense.

Israel has built a fertile land from a desert. They are the only country in the area with a democracy. They support freedom of religion and speech and have managed to maintain order within its boundaries where car bombs and shooters are common.

What I want you to take away from this is that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is way more complicated than most people think.

You can’t expect either side to not retaliate and do nothing with the affronts against, them so taking sides now is narrow-minded. The media is beyond biased and tends to report only on certain issues.

Stop taking sides in something you don’t understand.