Start living the life you’ve built and dream big, graduates

We are always told that as we get older, we are meant to become wise. But I hope we stay foolish. Foolish enough to believe that everything is possible. To know that we can do whatever we want and there is no one that can stop us but ourselves.

Fellow graduates, very soon we say goodbye to a constant in our life. We say goodbye to organized education, goodbye to late nights of studying or Facebook creeping and goodbye to buying books and selling them back at a 99 percent revenue loss.

But most importantly, we say goodbye to the children we used to be. This is it. Everything prior was just practice.

Every break-up. Every smile. Every betrayal. Every laugh. Every tear. Every breath we took.

They have all been to prepare us for this weekend. We may not have known it at the time, but everything we have experienced was for a reason.

We’ve done the work. We’ve put in the blood, sweat and tears. We’ve planned for this moment since we can remember and now it is actually here.

I hope you did what you wanted. I hope you took some great classes and some really time-wasting ones. I hope you gained lifelong friends and mentors. But, most of all, I hope you know that you deserve what your life has in store for you.

There is one thing I have learned that stands out the most: Life is about being ready for the moments that will change your life. Plan to fail at times; that’s what life is about. But prepare for the opportunities to grow as a person.

I just have to thank God for every opportunity I ever had. Who would’ve thought the bullied weird kid that was constantly teased in elementary school would experience the things I have.

To my mother Leah, my rock, thank you for teaching me strength and humility and thank you for being there when everything seemed to be falling apart. There is no one like you, and I am who I am because of the things you taught me. Everything I have accomplished is your victory as much as my own.

To my father and namesake, you taught me how to be a man, to be proud, to know that you can always be a better person and that it is never too late to change.

To my sisters, Sha, Jade and Maya, you are my reasons for working so hard. You keep me sane and grounded.

To the rest of my family and to my friends, thank you for being there when I needed you most. Everything I have learned from you, I will take with me for the rest of my life.

To the Journalism Department and Student Media, I found myself through you. Thank you for helping me meet the adult Eugene and letting him know what he’s meant to do in this life.

To you CSU, remember to never stop trying, to never stop fighting for what you want. Never stop doing things that make you uncomfortable. Take chances. Follow your dreams, especially when they are ridiculous and other people say you’ll never see them fulfilled.

Good things come to those who wait. But great things come to those who work tirelessly and never give up. The groundwork is set; our foundation is in place. Our life is out there waiting on us.

The only thing left for us to do is show up.

Feedback for former No B.S. columnist Eugene Daniels can be sent to letters@collegian.com.