Introducing the 2012-2013 Editorial staff and your new Editor in Chief

This marks the first newspaper in my tenure as editor in chief. But it also marks my last until we return from winter break in January.

I have been given the opportunity of a lifetime to move to Boston for six months and intern as a designer for The Boston Globe. It’s an opportunity that I just couldn’t pass up, but it’s also bittersweet.

There is almost nothing that I love more than this newspaper. I have worked my way up on the visual side from a designer to the visual managing editor. So, stepping away for a semester is going to be difficult, but it’s something that I need to do.

I have full faith and confidence in the editorial board and staff that I have hired to lead the Collegian next year. All of the staff members are dedicated to telling the stories of the the CSU community and ensuring this paper provides a voice for students and our campus.

With that, I’m excited to introduce them.

Allison Sylte: Editor in Chief-elect for fall 2012

Ali is a senior journalism major and will be filling in for me while I’m away in Boston. During the past year, she has worked as the content managing editor for the Collegian and I would not feel comfortable leaving the paper in the hands of anyone else. I’m excited to see what she’ll do with the paper and know that anything that comes her way, she will be able to handle.

Matt Miller: Content Managing Editor

Matt is a senior journalism major and has worked at the paper long enough to drive him slowly insane (it only took three years). Matt will be in charge of overseeing all of the day-to-day content and operations of the paper. He has served as both the entertainment editor and news editor in his time here.

Hunter Thompson: Visual Managing Editor

Hunter is a junior computer information systems major and a talented photographer and graphic designer. He’s my replacement as the VME and will be leading the visual team this year while also directly overseeing the photo desk. There isn’t a more talented person to take over the role and I’m excited to see the places that this paper’s visuals will go under his command.

Andrew Carrera: News Editor

Andrew is an international studies major and will be shifting into this role after being a senior reporter for the past year. He has been at the paper for two years overall covering everything from City Council to ASCSU to the new on-campus stadium proposal.

Elisabeth Willner: News Editor

Elisabeth is a senior majoring in journalism and French. She has worked at the paper as a staff writer for the past year. Her dedication and attention to detail are two things that are going to help our coverage of CSU and Fort Collins grow.

Cris Tiller: Sports Editor

Cris is returning as the sports editor for the second year now. He has been with the paper for two years working entirely on the sports desk.

Nic Turiciano: Entertainment Editor

Nic is a senior journalism major. He has written for the entertainment desk for two years and is joining the staff from most recently working as the local director at KCSU.

Kris Lawan: Design Editor

Kris joined us in January working most directly with me on the design desk. He was hired as the chief designer in March and is ready to take on the presentation of the paper. After being on the design desk for three years, I am so happy that I have found someone who I can trust to carry out our style and present stories in a way that are visually appealing and interesting.

Kevin Jensen: Copy Chief & Editorials Editor

Kevin began as a copy editor earlier this year. With his promotion, he will be dedicated to ensuring that typos and errors are non-existent in the newspaper.

Now with the introductions complete, I just wanted to say how excited I am to take on this role, even if it’s just for a short time. Any time that any community member has feedback or concerns, I would encourage them to speak out and send me an email to editor@collegian.com.

Editor in Chief Greg Mees is a junior journalism major. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com. Follow him on Twitter @meesgreg.