Legends of Ranching horse sale coverage: Video tour

This year’s 10th anniversary Legends of Ranching Performance Horse sale included a futurity and maturity demonstration on Friday night. Four consignors were invited to show horses in the demonstration, which included dry work and cattle work. Dr. Denniston, the horse-judging instructor and judging team coach, narrated each horse’s run, which highlighted their exceptional qualities.

A view from above of the 10th Annual Legends of Ranching Performance Horse Sale held at the B.W. Pickett arena. Photo credit Dixie Crowe.

Horses that are sold during this year’s sale will be eligible to compete in next year’s inaugural futurity and maturity event during the 11th annual legends of ranching sale.

During the preview on Saturday morning, aged horses did dry work and worked cattle. The consigned colts were ridden in the arena by their student trainers, giving potential buyers a chance to see them in action before the one o’clock sale start time.

The fast-paced auction took just over two hours to sell approximately 50 horses.

The top selling aged horse, Docs Tequila Snort, consigned by Singleton Ranches went for $16,000. Dyllan Freeburg, who was also the winner of last week’s Wagonhound Land and Livestock student competition, trained the top selling colt SCR Peptos Parton who sold for $14,000, and was consigned by Spur Cross Ranch. (See all the sale results on the Equine Sciences website).

Dixie can be reached at blogs@collegian.com or on Twitter @livestocklounge.