A guide for academic success

It is almost Spring Break, which means spring semester is in full swing, and you have probably gotten into a routine: sleep through your alarm, get to your nine a.m. 20 minutes late, go to lunch with friends, study, go to dinner, watch Netflix, sleep, and do it all over again. But if this routine didn’t have the best impact on your GPA last semester, then hit the “refresh” button and try the second half of spring semester differently so that when finals come around, you are ready to go.

1. Live in the Library

The library is a great alternative to studying in bed. After a day of classes I head straight to the library to do homework. It gave me a routine and forced me to work without the distraction there would be in my room. Also, studying in bed will make your brain associate work with the same place you are supposed to relax and sleep.

3a83e3b3090dfdf82b9f6490e18d17c0
Photo Credit: Celine Wolff

2. Central Place for Professor’s Contact Information

Last semester I went through all of my syllabi and wrote down every one of my professor’s and TA’s email, office hours, and office locations on one piece of paper. I put this paper in a place that I would always have with me so that I didn’t have to sort through syllabus after syllabus just to find their email.

3. Make a Friend in Each Class

Having friends or even just one friend in a class is a priceless tool for getting a good grade. They can give you their notes for the days you miss and can help with studying. The night before every test or quiz I had, I would meet with a friends from the class so we could study together and get twice the brain power.

4. Study to Instrumental Music 

As much fun as jamming out to Katy Perry is, the lyrics can be distracting when trying to read or write. A better alternative would be to listen to instrumental music. I find movie soundtracks and Disney instrumental music is relaxing, but also has an upbeat tempo so it won’t put you to sleep. I have a “Studying” playlist on 8tracks that I use almost everyday, that you can listen to here.

5. Take Notes in Colored Pen

I have a blue, pink, green, and purple ink pen, and they make note taking less of a chore (Yes microeconomic graphs, I’m talking about you). The contrast of colors help organize thoughts and make going back to review much easier because the colors guide the eyes.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 10.24.48 AM
Photo Courtesy: YouTube, video link provided on the left

6. Review the Notes After Class

This step is probably the hardest, because once you get out of class, looking back at your notes is the last thing you want to do. According to Thomas Frank, this is the best way to retain the information, and he explains this, and a TON of incredible study tips, it in a six minute video.

This is your chance to start fresh and try again when you get back from Spring Break. Finals be warned: you are prepped and ready.

Celine Wolff can be reached at blogs@collegian.com and on her twitter page @wolff_celine. For more, follow She Has Class on Pinterest.