Unlocking the Digital Treasure: A Dive into Cryptocurrency Exchanges

Ever wondered, amid all this digital currency buzz, what is the value of Ethereum today? It's a question that sparks the curiosity of many,...

Buying your first home out of school

Now, not all of you reading this blog will be graduating within the next year, but nonetheless, this could be future food for thought. The rest of you have most likely thought about where you plan to end up after you leave CSU. However, have you thought about what you’re actually going to live IN? Another apartment? A condo? What about a house?

If someone would have told me that I would have the opportunity to buy my own house in my early twenties, I would have laughed. Something like this sounds way too good to be true. However, it’s possible. Now, sure, buying a house is a concrete decision that requires some serious contemplation, but if you’re ready, my advice is to start checking around. There are several opportunities that could be open to you- you just may not know about them.

Over my college career, I have had the opportunity to work with a company that specializes in home investing. When I started with them, I didn’t have the slightest clue about the housing market. However, through my time and experiences, I have learned quite a bit and I figured I would share it with all of you.

English: Every Street Renovated Terraced House...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The value becomes yours: When you rent, you are paying money into someone else’s pocket and you are walking away with no return on your money. When you are paying on a home, each payment gets you closer and closer to an end goal-paying off the home. Plus, you will also qualify for several tax benefits.

You can rent out the rooms: You can become the landlord! Have a few friends that need a place to live? Rent out a bedroom or two. That money can help you pay your mortgage, plus it cuts down on your monthly expenses.

Need to move? Use the equity to buy your next house, then you can work on paying off that one. The earlier you start investing, the sooner your payments will be done.

The Place is Yours: Holes in the wall? Pets? No problem. It’s your house!

Many students, recent graduates, and young professionals shy away from buying a house because they think they can’t afford the monthly payments. In most cases, monthly payments are only slightly higher than renting (Zillow.com)

Now, I am not telling you to run out and sign yourself up, but rather to keep your mind open. Be sure your finances are in order, educate yourself, and get a feel for the market you are looking at. Buying your first home out of college may be more tangible than you think.

Hallie Gardner can be reached at blogs@collegian.com.