Cool Summer Reads

Well, hello everyone! It’s been, what, almost three months(?) since my last blog post. And let me tell you, oh, what a crazy couple of months these have been. Not only have I moved into my own place, but I’m also working a full time job.

As much as I love summer, I am NOT loving the heat. I work outside, so these 97 degree days are killing me. (Okay, maybe not literally, but metaphorically, I am very much dead.) But have no fear! At the end of the (very hot) workday, there is always a jar of sun tea and a wonderful book to return home to. So today I’m going to give you a list of some cool summer reads to keep you entertained until classes start back up again.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

I know what you’re thinking. “Uh, Natalie, we’ve all read those already.” But stop there, because no you haven’t! All of you have NOT read this series. I will sheepishly admit that I have not finished this series, but I plan to! I am currently halfway through the fourth book, and am absolutely loving it. The first book, The Sorcerer’s Stone, has definitely been my favorite so far though. I love how beautifully J.K. Rowling crafts her world. Her books are actually what got me pumped up about moving into the dorms, believe it or not. I thought, “Hey, if a 12 year old boy can move into a dormitory, then so can I!” So, please, read these books if you have not done so already. I hear they will change your life.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I’ve not read this one yet, but it is at the top of my to-read list. The main character has blue hair (like, it grows out of her head that way), which makes me instantly want to read it. But wait, that’s not the only reason why it should be on your summer reading list! It is full of mystery, star-crossed love, and fascinating settings. It is also the first of a series.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I read this book in one day. That’s how good it is. It is romantic and witty and absolutely adorable, while also being terribly raw and realistic. It makes you open your eyes and think, “Wow. So this is life.” We are very fleeting beings, and we fret too often about meaningless things. After reading this book I began to see the world a little differently. I’m healthy and happy and able to do all the things my heart desires, so there should be no reason for frowning. Please read this book. It will move you.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is a classic novel, and is one that I think greatly deserves to be read. I finally bought this book last summer, and after reading it I fell in love with Jane Austen. I now own both film adaptations of this book and actually plan to watch one of them tonight. (Where’s my popcorn?) You may have to take some time to adjust to the old language, but after doing so you will find this book quite the pleasure to read.

High Born by Natalia Leigh

This novel is set in a medieval world that is full of myth, mystery, and handsome princes. The main character is a servant girl who has grown up in the shadow of royalty. But when circumstances force her to run away, she discovers there is more to her world than she ever thought possible. This is a self-published book that you can find on Amazon.

I know that summer is coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean you can’t fit a few of these titles onto your bookshelf. So get to reading, CSU! I’ll see you all in a few short weeks.