Comic Series I’m Looking Forward To

As story arcs close and new writers are recognized, the comic book world always has something new. It’s incredibly exciting to that there is such a diverse range of plots and characters that you can read a new series practically every few months. Here a few notable series that I am eager to read.

the midas fleshMidas Flesh by Ryan North, Braden Lamb, Shelli Paroline

AKA: King Midas’s gold finger is weaponized, oh and dinosaurs

A small crew composed of Fatima, Joey, and Cooper (a Utahraptor) are exploring an abandoned planet that is entirely gold. It turns out that the planet is Earth after King Midas’s wish to turn everything he touches into gold was unfortunately granted. With a third issue coming out this month, it would be a great series to read start to finish.

Black WidowBlack Widow by Nathan Edmondson, Phil Noto

AKA: A kick ass character with hopefully a kick ass plot

Its first issue out last month, I’m incredibly excited to start off the new year with a strong female character. Natasha is set out to make amends for her former KGB assassin life, without the Avengers. Nonetheless, she is still Natasha, using stealth and manipulation to solve problems. For those new to Black Widows past, it is clear that this series is meant to fix the past not revisit it, so it would be quite easy to pick up.

Ms. MarvelMs. Marvel by Sama Amanat, G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona

AKA: Sixteen year old, American Muslim bad ass

The Ms. Marvel mantle was held by Carol Danvers for a long time, but now Kamala Khan will be the newest reincarnation. Kamala lives in New Jersey with her Pakistani parents and brother. With her amazing body transforming powers, she has the chance to be her own hero.  As a side note, Ms. Khan will is the first Muslim character to headline a series.

TWATDThe Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie

AKA: Gods incarnated as teenagers with 2 years to spend

Twelve gods are reborn every 90 years to garner popularity by performing small miracles. Add in a very dedicated fan who is desperate to be a part of their group with a surprise thirteenth god and this cycle is definitely not going to be like the last. Written and illustrated by the team that brought you Young Avengers, this modern mythology will be released sometime this summer.

lumberjanesLumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Shannon Watters

AKA: Five girl scouts vs. the Supernatural universe

This series follows a group of five girls with their summer adventures at camp. But no ordinary creatures lurk in these woods. Boom!, the comic’s publishers, simply put that it is “Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Gravity Falls”. Be sure to check it out when it is released in April.

For more recommendations, art, and comic book news, follow Comics for the Curious on Tumblr!