$10 million was contributed to cancer research at CSU’s Animal Cancer Center

Cancer is a leading cause of death for both animals and humans. $10 million has been added to fund a cure quest for cancer in both animals and people at the CSU Flint Animal Cancer Center by Nan and Brett Stuart, Carnation Milk Co. heirs, who live in Longmont, Colorado.

Two Golden Retrievers
Two Golden Retrievers (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Carnation Milk Co. was founded in 1899 by Elbridge Amos Stuart and was known for its evaporated milk. Nestle acquired the company in 1985. Nowadays, the Stuart family owns the Hadley and Marion Stuart Foundation, a charitable organization, who has been the biggest contributor in the history of the CSU Flint Animal Cancer Center.

With $10 million, the fund for the renowned work at the center will be doubled. The center does research about cancer in animals but believes it also affects human medicine.

Since 1983, the golden retrievers of the family have been receiving care from the CSU cancer center. A total of $22 million has been contributed to research and clinical treatment of naturally occurring canine cancers. The center has become house to the world’s largest group of scientists studying cancer.

“This new gift reflects Hadley Stuart’s legacy and the close 30-year relationship we have so greatly appreciated between the Stuart family and the CSU veterinary cancer program,” said Dr. Rodney Page, a medical oncologist and director of the Flint Animal Cancer Center. “This gift will truly sustain our work, and we cannot sufficiently express our gratitude to the Stuart family.”

Dr. Stephen Withrow, founder and associate director of the Flint Animal Cancer Center highly appreciates the donations that the late Hadley Stuart and his family foundation give to the center. Dr. Withrow, who considers veterinary medicine could have a significant influence on human health as well as animal health, came to CSU in 1987 to build a clinical oncology service. After three years as a general surgeon, he approached the department head for permission to develop a new service. In only two years, he created a stand-alone clinical oncology service which has been serving almost two thousand new patients each year. He considers this is his passion and a way to job satisfaction.

For the Stuart family, they concern about well-being of dogs and has been supporting the cancer center to find a cure for their golden retriever who suffers from brachial neurofibrosarcoma, a malignant nerve sheath tumor off the spinal cord. At the center, efforts have been poured trying to find a way to alleviate the pain for the 8-year-old dog.

Stuart’s other golden retrievers are award-winning service dogs that are trained to perform emergency rescues from swift water and ice. They consider their dogs “as important to us as food and water.”

Flint Animal Canter Center’s mission is to improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer in pet animals, translating their research and knowledge to also benefit people with cancer. They have three options for treating cancer: surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. They also offer free consult service to pet owners and referring veterinarians who want to submit their questions to obtain general information regarding cancer in animals or clinical trials available.