Welcome to Pick More Daisies!

First things are first, I believe an introduction is in order.

My name is Natalie Juteau, and I am a sophomore Equine Science major (who also happens to be terrible at science, go figure). I’m not sure yet what I will do with an Equine Science degree, because more than anything else, I long to be an author. (More on this in future posts.) I transferred to CSU this year from Red Rocks Community College in Lakewood, and I could not have made a better decision. I’m living in the dorms this year and love everything about it. My roommate is amazing, my hall mates are phenomenal, and Durrell serves some pretty good food. (I recommend the pasta bar.) But enough about me. Let’s talk about the blog!

Welcome to Pick More Daisies. A bit of history behind the name: When I was in middle school I had a report to do on poetry. The assignment was to interview someone about their favorite poem, and I chose to interview my grandpa. He told me that his favorite poem was one titled, “I’d Pick More Daisies”, and then he pulled out his wallet, fished through the many dollar bills and wrinkled pictures of my grandmother, and pulled out a newspaper clipping. He smoothed the faded paper on the table, and low and behold, there was the poem.

I learned a lot about my grandpa that day. Not only was he a courageous, loving man, but he was also a brilliant and sentimental man as well. I got an A on the report, and the poem has remained an important support system for me ever since.

My grandpa passed away in September, and when asked to come up with a name for this blog, I knew right away what it should be: Pick More Daisies. Nothing seems more fitting. It is a tribute to a man who left this world in a better state than when he came into it.

Pick More Daisies is a blog about reading, writing, and literary abandon. I will review books, provide readers with writing tips and tricks, and eventually be sharing some of my personal works. This will be a learning process, and I look forward to taking on this exciting challenge. I hope you stick with me along the way!

Now, for your reading enjoyment, a poem:

I’d Pick More Daisies
By Nadine Stair, age 85

If I had my life to live over, I’d try to make more mistakes next time.

I would relax. I would limber up.

I would be sillier than I have on this trip.

I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic.

I would take more chances, I would take more trips.

I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets.

I would burn more gasoline. I would eat more ice cream and less beans.

I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I am one of those people who lives prophylactically and sensibly and sanely,

hour after hour, day after day.

Oh, I have had my moments

And if I had it to do over again, I’d have more of them.

In fact, I’d try to have nothing else.

Just moments, one after another.

Instead of living so many years ahead each day.

I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer,

a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and a parachute.

If I had to do it over again, I would go places and do things.

I’d travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.

I would play hooky more. I wouldn’t make such good grades except by accident.

I would ride on merry-go-rounds.

I’d pick more daisies!

Welcome to Pick More Daisies!