Barcelona dining on a budget

En: My homemade Focaccia with Olives, Rosemary...
Focaccia . (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

During my summer trip through Europe, Barcelona was one of my favorite cities to eat in. Not only is the food delicious and thought out, it is cheap if you know where to look!

One of the most surprising things about Europe was the attention to detail in food. It seemed like every venue I tried took such pride in their creations. The food was fresh, and so many restaurants passionately believed in only using local ingredients. I was shocked at the difference in taste and presentation between food in America and Europe.

While I was wondering through the alleyways of Barcelona, my friend and I stopped at a small restaurant named Tiana’s for lunch.  We saw that they had a small glass display case of their food items and noticed a lunch special listed on the door. Needless to say we were not expecting much.

I ordered a glass of fruity red wine, goat cheese and spinach quiche, along with a beef focaccia. First of all the portions were giant! Ordering a quiche and focaccia was enough food for two. Luckily I was very hungry and ate it all. I started with the quiche. Normally I am not a big fan of stinky cheeses, but the waiter suggested it. The goat cheese was very light and creamy and added a wonderful flavor.

Then I gobbled down the focaccia topped with beef, green peppers, and oregano. The crust of the focaccia was clearly made with loads of butter because it was crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. And the toppings were a perfect combination to the crust.

Our lunch was so delicious we had to order a lemon tart with meringue for dessert. The tartness of this treat was the perfect way to end our meal.

Luckily our bill was anything but sour. I had a glass of wine, a large meal and dessert all for 6 EUR. This was the definition of fine dining on the cheap.

Paella
Paella (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

HELPFUL HINTS: When you are looking for authentic places to eat in Barcelona avoid restaurants with outdoor seating. Also, traditionally tapas and paellas are not served together so avoid venues who will try to sell you both. Lastly, paella is normally made with saffron which is one of the most expensive spices in the world. If you are looking for genuine paellas don’t plan on paying less than 15 EUR.