Are long distance relationships worth it?

Now, let me start off by saying that long distance relationships are hard, and I wouldn’t be able to easily recommend them to someone. But do I regret trying to a long distance relationship? Sometimes I’ll wonder if it’s all worth it. Did it maybe affect how I interacted with people? Did it affect how I made friends? Did it hinder my college experience in any way?

A lot of people say that it “ties you down.” But does it really? I guess it’s based on your perception of it. For me personally, I loved being single before. I got to explore different options in life and discover what kind of person I am. I mean, I’m still currently trying to figure out the rest of myself, but it never felt like I was being tied down. I realized that I loved dating my boyfriend and later being in a relationship with him. But going from being in a relationship where I could see him and talk to him every day in person to a long distance relationship where we can barely talk to each other a few times over text, phone call, or Skype is a different story. It’s a difficult situation. Being in a relationship with him was worth it, but a long distance one? Well, the question requires multiples answers because there are multiple aspects to think about when you want to enter a long distance relationship.

I do have to admit that things probably would have turned out a lot differently had I not tried long distance. I probably would have made different friends. I might not have matured as much as I have. There’s also a very high possibility that you would not be reading this right now. I guess it’s true when people say that everything happens for a reason. So you have to ask yourself if you are willing to take that risk. You can’t just go into a long distance relationship without thinking in depth about it. You have to see if you can actually see this person fitting into your life. And of course it’s important that you love and/or care about this person, but sometimes, that’s not enough. You may love multiple people in your life, but it might not always work out because sometimes things just don’t mesh together. It really depends on learning to compromise and from each other.

One thing you have to remember is that “normal” couples already have arguments and fights, but there will be increased chances for fights when you’re in a long distance relationship. Things can so easily be misinterpreted. However, what healthy relationship doesn’t have a fight or an argument now and again. It’s been said that if a couple never fights then they are not truly communicating with each other. It’s only when there’s an excess of conflicts that it becomes a problem.

However, it’s with these fights that you learn to make the most of everything because you are only able to spend so little time talking to each other. You have to remember to appreciate the little things even more. If you are only able to Skype for just 30 minutes, you take it because any time together is precious. You also learn a lot about time management trying to fit your significant other into your busy life.

And then you always have people asking you why you would pick a long distance relationship when you would be able to find a guy you could talk to in person. Well, my reasoning is this…I would rather have a little time with an amazing guy than spend a lot of time with jerks. I’d rather have a relationship with meaning and quality than have a large quantity of guys. But that’s just me.

But to finally answer your question after all of that long-windedness… You may have more fights and arguments, and it may always be a struggle. But in the end, I think my long distance relationship is worth it. There may be tears and pain, but there’s also even more love and happiness.  And now to leave you on this note…

Long distance relationships are like the pouring rain. It makes it a challenge to get through the day, especially when it’s freezing. However, when it’s over, the sun and rainbows come out from behind the clouds. There might still be puddles on the ground and clouds in the sky, but the hardest part is over. There will be ups and downs, just like any other day, but when the challenging part is overcome, it’ll be beautiful again. It will actually seem even more beautiful because it will be appreciated even more so.