Being a Jewish minority at CSU

From left: Trevor Heyman, Myles Sedgwick, Rabbi Yerachmiel Gorelik, and Michael Lichtbach prepare food for the Shabbat Dinner on Wednesday afternoon. The dinner will be held Friday night at 7 pm. in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

When people think about being a minority, they think about someone’s ethnicity or race. But to me, being a minority is something that I am constantly reminded of.

Walking around campus reminds me of how little our community really is here in Fort Collins. You can see reminders of not being part of the majority religion everywhere you look; the people who are preaching about their Lord and savior, constantly asking you about what your beliefs are and other things that constantly remind you of being a minority. One thing that we always talk about at the Chabad Jewish Student Association is how it truly is to be a Jew around campus. We share stories about times that we have really felt the effects of being a minority around campus; times that people have not been the nicest to you after they learn you are Jewish. Talking to other Jewish people who have had similar situations or have been told some pretty mean things, make you feel even more connected.

Being a minority around campus is something that is always in the back of my mind. I am always scared when I am wearing a Star of David that someone will say something to me that I will not be expecting and something that I will never forget. Although that is something I constantly think about, I know that it is important to be proud of who I am and what my religion stands for. Being a part of Chabad has really helped me become even more proud of being a Jew. The talks we have at Chabad helped me to remember to be strong and not worry about what could happen.

Editor-at-large Danielle Geller can be reached at community@collegian.com.