Hooking up with Lulu and Tinder apps

Love at first swipe may sound cheesy, but its the newest way we iPhone-loving 20-somethings get our kicks. New apps keep popping up claiming fast and easy results for a good time, so I was curious when these comments popped up on the now very popular CSU Confessions Facebook page:

“I as a guy think we should make an app that ranks girls. We must fight back the LuLu plague!”

“So, I’m making out with really hot chick and suddenly she whips it out…tinder, she starts tindering. WTF has my life come to.”

Tinder is a geo-location mobile app that finds potential men and women based on the phone’s location and lets users swipe to like and dislike the pictures that pop up. If there is a mutual like, the two can talk through the app.

It’s pretty innocent and simple. The app is a quick way to find a potential hookup, since dating seems to be nonexistent according to reports and trends.

A more worrisome app is Lulu , a program aimed at women that allows them to compliment and trash men they know. It lets women who are categorized as hookups, relatives, girlfriends, exes, friends or crushes either boost these men’s reputations or scorn them for a past breakup or lousy sexual performance using a list of labels including #AlwaysPays and #CheaperThanABigMac.

The Dating Game
The Dating Game (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The reason this can be a problem is because the people being rated are unaware of their presence on the site. Lulu uses Facebook for its search whether or not the men are looking for a partner. It posts full names and profile pictures along with a rating system based on factors like commitment and attractiveness.

All of the reviews are anonymous, which can be dangerous territory. Fortunately it can’t get too  raunchy or vicious, since users are restricted to pre-made descriptions, even if the choices sound like answers to a stereotypical gossip magazine quiz. The men also cannot see their own reviews since the app recognizes gender, so there is no way to refute the accusations of bad bedroom action or defend the fact that they own a pair of Crocs.

Sexuality with the app can be picked apart, since it is specifically for straight women and doesn’t recognize other genders who may have had a run in with a great or lousy guy.

Not everyone thinks this app would be helpful.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right. If a girl is judging you based on an app rating, obviously she’s not worth it,” said one person on the CSU confessions page.

Males are not oblivious that this app exists, and are not afraid to comment.

“Guys be careful we are being rated and reviewed like a product. Some app called lulu, might want to have a good girl friend check it for you,” said another CSU confession comment.

Some say to skip such apps and just go for the person at the coffee shop with the nice eyes. Others don’t find it that easy, so these apps exist. And they aren’t the only ones, so if someone isn’t into a one night stand or into someone’s dirty little secrets.