Fall Clean Up to occur on Nov. 5

Spending hours every year raking leaves and helping out the Fort Collins community, Fall Clean Up is a common way for students and organizations to get involved and give back.

On Saturday, Nov. 5, the Colorado State University Office of Off Campus Life will be hosting their annual Fall Clean up from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Students and organizations that wish to participate in the event can register on the office of Off Campus Life website. Registration ends on Friday, Oct. 14.

Nick Gorman, junior liberal arts major, throws leaves into a trash bag during Fall Clean-Up in 2014.

After registering for the event, Off Campus Life requests that all participants fill out the required liability waiver which can be found on the same website as registration.

According to the Off Campus Life’s website, Fall Clean Up is designed at aiding elder or physically limited community members of the Fort Collins neighborhoods. The program is aimed at assisting elderly and/or physically limited neighbors in the Fort Collins area with outdoor yard work. Work includes raking leaves, trimming bushes, cleaning gutters or something they cannot complete themselves.

The program started in 2005 and has steadily grown across the Colorado State campus ever since. When Fall Clean Up started there were 24 neighbors helped by just over 50 student volunteers. In 2015, over 1,200 volunteers helped 231 neighbors. Additionally, in 2009 leaf pick-up was added to the program at many long-term neighbors’ request.

Many students within the fraternity and sorority life community participate annually in Fall Clean Up. Taking the opportunity to not only spend time and bond with their brothers and sisters, but to actively get engaged and give back to the Fort Collins community.

Liam Aubrey, a sophomore business major, will be participating for the the second year in a row with his fraternity brothers. The event is required for many fraternity and sorority life members. Aubrey believes the event is an opportunity to spend time and bond with his brothers and give back to the community.

“It’s a really great way to serve the community outside of CSU and to do something productive and good with your time,” Aubrey said.

For more information on Fall Clean Up and how to get involved as an individual or an organization can be found on the Off Campus Life website or in the office.

Collegian reporter Karissa Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @KarissaMiller17.