Libertarian, Green Party Colorado senate candidates to debate at CSU

The Libertarian and Green Party candidates for the contested United States Senate seat of Sen. Michael Bennet, D-CO, are coming to the CSU campus to present their platform to students who are less-than-enthusiastic about traditional two-party options.

Libertarian candidate Lily Williams and Green candidate Arn Menconi will participate in a town-hall style debate moderated by two Collegian editors at 7 p.m. in Clark A-206. The debate will be live streamed.

family.png
Lily Williams, pictured front left, was raised in Communist China, which she cites as a reason for her Libertarian platform.

Williams is a Chinese-American born in China before the cultural revolution. According to her campaign site, Williams was inspired to take on big government after living under the Chinese Communist Party for the majority of her youth.

““I am running for U.S. Senate because I hate to see the country I love becoming more like the country I left,” Williams said in a press release.

Williams cites a limited and constitutional government, individual rights, and private and alternative types of education as some of the issues she will address if elected.

o_1agtcjrlfoso12m41tm91k391lc418.jpg
Arn Menconi served as Eagle County commissioner for eight years and founded a non-profit aimed at helping at-risk youth. Photo credit: Arn Menconi Campaign

Menconi was the commissioner for Eagle County from 2000 to 2008, and founded the Snowboard Outreach Society in 1993, a non-profit which provides funding to aid at-risk youth. On his campaign site, Menconi said his most important job is being a father to his two children.

“I am running to give Coloradans the option to elect a senator that will truly represent their interests,” Menconi said in a press release.

Follow the Collegian for coverage of the debate Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Clark A-206.