CSU prepares for full capacity of residence halls with renovations and Aggie Village

With the class size of the incoming freshmen increasing every year, residence hall space is filling up faster than ever. However, according to Housing and Dining, there’s no space issues to worry about for the near future.

“We’ve actually added quite a few beds,” said Tonie Miyamoto, director of communications and sustainability in Housing and Dining. “With Laurel Village included it’s been several thousand over the past 10 years.”

Laurel Village, which opened two years ago, is the newest residence hall on campus, home to both College of Natural Science students and second-years. Miyamoto said that the construction of Laurel Village, Academic Village and Summit hall along with the additions to Parmelee and Braiden halls have significantly added to the space for both incoming students and students who wish to remain on campus their second year.

“What we encourage students to do is to live in residence halls for the first two years,” Miyamoto said. “And then, we recommend Aggie Village for upperclassmen.”

The Aggie Village construction, as seen from the OxBlue Construction Camera on site.
The Aggie Village construction, as seen from the OxBlue Construction Camera on site. (Collegian file photo)

Aggie Village is the new university apartment complex being built on the south side of campus. According to Miyamoto, the new buildings have space for 973 individuals, including upperclassmen, some graduate students and university visitors. Miyamoto also added that the process to transition from the residence halls to Aggie Village is streamlined, with only one deposit required.

“We have moved to a single deposit amount, so that students who are interested in moving from the halls to the apartments or vice-versa will have an easier time with their deposit,” Miyamoto said. “We want to make it as easy for students as possible.”

Aggie Village is set to open August 8, and will be managed by the Apartment Life department of Housing and Dining, which Miyamoto said makes management of housing in both residence halls and apartments easier, because the one department shares resources. Apartment Life also offers student-staff positions on campus, similar to those offered by Residence Life.

With both the halls and apartments expected to be at capacity again this year, Miyamoto said that Housing and Dining is working to make sure everything is ready for move-in, including some renovation at Newsom Hall.

“Newsom is getting an exterior and interior renovation this summer,” Miyamoto said. “It is getting fresh paint, new flooring and sunshades on the exterior to make rooms a bit more comfortable.”

Newsom has a reputation on campus for being in dire need of either renovation or destruction, recieving the nickname “gruesome Newsom” from many students. With the renovations of Parmelee, Braiden and Ingersol, Miyamoto said that a lot of factors play into when older halls, such as Newsom and Allison, will be renovated or replaced.

For Miyamoto, as on-campus living continues to increase in numbers, one of the biggest concerns is not finding beds for everyone, but rather finding a way to get around.

“One of the big things that we’ve been talking to students about this year is sustainable transportation,” Miyamoto said. “We’re doing a lot to make the transportation options for students on campus as convenient as possible. As parking rates increase and parking spots decrease we’re working hard to highlight what the options can be without a personal vehicle.”

Collegian Social Managing Editor Chapman W. Croskell can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @Nescwick.