Retail marijuana stores in Fort Collins now open until 8 p.m.

Erin Douglas

Beginning Friday, retail marijuana stores in Fort Collins will be permitted to extend their hours until 8 p.m. Previously, licensed retail marijuana stores’ hours were restricted from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Junior communication studies major and budtender, Brendon T. Greney displays several jars of marijuana while explaining strain differences to a curious customer at Organic Alternatives, located at 346 E. Mountain Ave. Beginning Friday, Organic Alternatives will be open until 8 p.m. as a result of the new ordinance. (Photo credit: Zane Watson)
Junior communication studies major and budtender, Brendon T. Greney displays several jars of marijuana while explaining strain differences to a curious customer at Organic Alternatives, located at 346 E. Mountain Ave. Beginning Friday, Organic Alternatives will be open until 8 p.m. as a result of the new ordinance. (Photo Credit: Zane Watson.)

Jan. 19, Fort Collins City Council approved Ordinance No. 10 after a constituent complained that there was inconsistency between city and county law.

Larimer County allows retail marijuana stores to be open until 8 p.m. It takes 10 days for an ordinance to go into affect after passage, so the change will begin Jan. 29.

Larimer County decided retail marijuana licensing rules after Fort Collins, and the county did not stay consistent with the law the city already had in place, said Ginny Sawyer, project and policy manager for the City of Fort Collins. This put in-city marijuana retailers at a competitive disadvantage, according to the wording of the ordinance.

The passage of Ordinance No. 10 amended Section 15-620 of city code. Only existing medical marijuana businesses can apply for retail marijuana store licenses and retail marijuana cultivation licenses in Fort Collins. 

“We don’t anticipate any changes to licensing (of retail marijuana stores in Fort Collins) in the near future,” said Sawyer.

The ordinance passed by a vote of 6-1.

Collegian Reporter Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @erinmdouglas23.