Foothills Mall renovation nears completion with new stores on the way

After months of construction, road blocks and limited shopping spots, Foothills Mall is scheduled to open November 2015.

As Cinemark nears completion, managment begins the hiring process in a temporary office just off of College Ave. (Photo Credit: Ryan Arb)
As Cinemark nears completion, managment begins the hiring process in a temporary office off of College Avenue. (Photo Credit: Ryan Arb)

White House/Black Market, Vans, H&M, Nordstrom Rack and The Melt are only a few of the stores and diners new to Fort Collins that will be opening in the mall.

Not only is the renovated mall going to be a place to shop, it will also provide a “unique combination of traditional indoor retail, street-front shops, open-air eateries and outdoor amenities,” according to its website.

The $313 million redevelopment agreement between the City of Fort Collins and Alberta Development Partners launched February 2014. This project will take up 660,000 square feet of retail space.

Fort Collins residents say they are excited to have a new place in town to shop, eat and socialize. The mall will include a Cinemark movie theater, as well as an outdoor skating rank.

“The construction has been so difficult for the residents of Fort Collins, particularly traveling down College Avenue,” said Michelle Skeens, senior international studies major. “But I’m so excited for all the new stores to open in town. Now I don’t have to go to Denver when I need to shop.”

The redevelopment agreement required Alberta Development Partners to reuse and recycle all of the non-contaminated material from the old structures. According the City of Fort Collins website, Alberta invited Colorado State University’s Institute for the Built Environment “to observe and provide input on the recycling effort in collaboration with planners in the city’s Environmental Services Department.”

A rendering of what the mall will look like after construction. (Photo courtesy of Renaissance on the Front Range)
A rendering of what the mall will look like after construction. (Photo courtesy of Foothills Mall)

Renovation will also include about 800 housing units on the eastern perimeter of the site to be completed by the beginning of 2016. These new projects will stimulate business and economy in Fort Collins and provide employment opportunities to students.

“I’ve lived in Fort Collins my whole life and it’s about time something happened to that place,” said D.J. Mullaney, a sophomore health and exercise major. “It was outdated and something fresh was needed.”

What’s open during construction:

• Chico’s
  • Buckle
  • GNC
  • Hot Topic
  • Macy’s
  • Maurice’s
  • Motherhood Maternity
  • Payless Shoe Source
  • Victoria’s Secret
  • Bath & Body Works
  • Zales
  • Zumiez

What’s coming:

• Bar Louie
  • Cinemark
  • Grimaldi’s Brick Oven Pizza
  • Gymboree
  • H&M
  • Longhorn Steakhouse
  • Nordstrom Rack
  • Ross
  • Smashburger
  • Sports Authority
  • The Melt
  • Vans
  • Verizon
  • White House/ Black Market

Collegian Reporter Israa Eldeiry can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @israaeldeiry.