Campus coffee shops see rise in customer caffeine consumption

Sophmore history major and barista Cody Reed adds espresso to a drink at Morgan's Grind coffee shop in the Library yesterday afternoon. The campus coffee shop will be extending their hours until midnight through this week and finals week, allowing students to get late night drinks while preparing for finals.
Sophmore history major and barista Cody Reed adds espresso to a drink at Morgan’s Grind coffee shop in the Library yesterday afternoon. The campus coffee shop will be extending their hours until midnight through this week and finals week, allowing students to get late night drinks while preparing for finals.

With finals week quickly approaching, several coffee shops on and around campus have noticed changes in their customers’ behavior.

“There are definitely more people during finals and dead week,” said Kelly Galiniak, a senior natural resource recreation and tourism major who has worked at Morgan’s Grind for one year.

Galiniak explained that she noticed a significant difference in the number of customers as finals week gets closer and that more people tend to come in at night than usual.

Hailey McClure is senior political science and Arabic major who works at Sweet Sinsations in the Behavioral Science Building. She has also noticed differences in the time of day the shop gets busy.

“Sales increase more in the afternoon,” McClure said.

McClure explained that despite this change, sales typically stay pretty consistent in the mornings. She has also observed that the types of drinks that people order change and that more people ask for extra shots. She attributes this shift in behavior to how busy students are this time of year.

“People are trying to get energy and push through,” McClure said.

In addition to this, McClure explained that the general mood changes and that students tend to be much more productive.

Galiniak said that she has noticed a change in the mood of students as well.

“It is just more stressful all around,” Galiniak said. “Customers do seem more stressed.”

However, not all coffee shops notice a significant difference.

Robin Lewis, who has worked at Mugs on the Oval for three months, said that the number of students that come in has not changed as finals week approaches.

“It is pretty busy here all the time,” Lewis said.

While some coffee shops around campus may not see an increase in frenzied college-aged customers, baristas in coffee shops on campus are still witnessing a rise in coffee consumption.

“I mean we are always busy, but during finals we are extremely busy,” Galiniak said.

Collegian Reporter Maddie Buxton can be reached at news@collegian.com.