CSU Homecoming 2013: Black Rams Alumni group host breakfast and tour

Homecoming will be a weekend like none other this year for community, students and alumni alike.

This year, CSU will be hosting a collection of alumni reunions. Among these reunions will be the Black Rams Alumni Breakfast & Tour.

The organization will be reconnecting with African American alumni during a light breakfast on Oct. 12 at the Lory Student Center in Grey Rock Room.

The breakfast will feature a university update from Blanche Hughes, Ph.D., CSU vice president of student affairs. He will talk about recent changes and future plans at CSU.

Hughes has served as the CSU vice president for student affairs for seven years. Formerly, she served a year as the director of Black Student Services.

She has also worked as a professor of the Department of Sociology at Pikes Peak Community College for two years. During one year, she served as its chair.

According to Bridgette Johnson, Director of the Black African American Culture Center, this event will also inform alumni on how they can give back to CSU, as well as draw alumni involvement within the university. Johnson added that this event aims to “culturally enhance” Fort Collins.

According to the university, Black Non-Hispanic enrollment is 2 percent, which is about 597 students. About 2.7 of all students that graduate are Black Non-Hispanic.

Collegian Reporter Shawn Brown can be reached at news@collegian.com.