Discounted Relay for Life registration Weds. on LSC Plaza

Even though many students may not think about cancer very often, it’s something nearly everyone will encounter, either directly or indirectly, at some point in their lives.Students making their way through the Lory Student Center Plaza Wednesday will have an opportunity to take advantage of a one time, half-price $5 individual registration fee to sign up for the Colleges for Cancer annual Relay for Life fundraiser.

Teams of up to 15 people will collect financial donations from the community to support cancer research and to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer.

The fundraising drive will culminate during a walk/run from 6 p.m. April 13 to 7 a.m. April 14 at the recreation center on campus. At least one member from each team will walk or run laps around the track throughout the night. Participants not running can camp out on the basketball court, participate in games and raffle drawings and snack on food.

Attendees are encouraged to dress in styles from a certain decade, and music will be played throughout the night from different decades with a stage set up for people to dance on.

“It’s a lot of fun and goes to a good cause of fighting cancer and it’s something people shouldn’t have to go through on their own,” said David Born, publicity chair for Colleges for Cancer and junior mathematics major.

Relay for Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature event. Started in 1985, the annual fundraising drive has spread to 25 countries and raises millions of dollars for cancer research each year.

After losing his mom to cancer his freshman year at CSU, management practice graduate student James DeHerrera began organizing teams every year to participate in relay for life.

“For me this is a really personal issue,” DeHerrera said.  “The American Cancer Society is a great organization and they do a great job of trying to eradicate cancer.”

This year, his six-man team has already raised more than $400. DeHerrera said every year he’s participated has been a good opportunity to spend time with friends, have fun and raise money for a good cause. In prior years he remembers playing dodgeball and doing yoga and zumba exercises in between walking laps around the track.

“It’s just a fun time to hang out with friends and raise funds for an amazing cause,” Deherrera said.

Team registration will increase to $15 per person starting next week.