Healthcare as seen by Obama vs Romney

Percentage of people with private/public health care coverage 2011
Public, 2011
Age: Under 65= 23
0-17 years= 41
18-64 years= 15.9
19-25 years=16.8

Private, 2011
Age: Under 65= 61.2
0-17 years= 53.3
18-64 years=56.2
19-25 years= 64.2

Percentage of people who are uninsured, 2011
Age: Under 65= 17.3
0-17 years= 7.0
18-64 years=21.3

Information from CDC/NCHS National Health Interview Survey

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/insur201206.pdf

What they said
ROMNEY
“What I would do is keep—as we have today—state responsibility for those that are uninsured. You see I believe in the 10th Amendment. I believe the states have responsibility to care for their people in the way they feel best…And states will learn from each other, and some will have good experiences and others will not. That’s happening even today and states are learning and trying new ways to care for the uninsured. It’s important for us in my view to make sure that every American has access to good health care,” Romney said June 13, 2012 at Con-Air Industries in Orlando.

– Executive order to allow the federal government to issue Obamacare waivers to the states, and repeal Obamacare
-Put states in charge of regulating local insurance markets and caring for poor, chronically ill, or uninsured.
-Give block grants to the states for Medicare and limit federal standards on insurance coverage
– Promote free markets and fair competition
-Prevent discrimination for pre-existing conditions

OBAMA
“Since health care represents one-sixth of our economy, I believe it makes more sense to build on what works and fix what doesn’t, rather than try to build an entirely new system from scratch… (The ACA) will provide more security and stability to those who have health insurance. It will provide insurance to those who don’t. And it will slow the growth of health care costs for our families, our businesses and our government. It’s a plan that asks everyone to take responsibility for meeting this challenge – not just government and insurance companies, but employers and individuals,” Obama said in a speech to Congress Sept. 9, 2009.

-Provide quality, affordable and reliable health insurance
-Stop insurance company abuses
-End to health insurance discrimination

What they did

ROMNEY
2006: An Act Providing Access to Affordable, Quality, Accountable Health Care
– All Massachusetts residents must have health insurance
– Government subsidies to provide insurance for low-income individuals
– Established Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector Authority to offer private insurance plans
– Tax penalties on residents who do not have insurance and on employers who do not provide insurance

OBAMA
2010: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
-Holds insurance companies accountable
-Medicare free preventative services and lower costs on prescription drugs and monthly premiums
-Children can stay on parents’ plan until age 26